Scratch building a 4 CEP unit.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
majorbloodknock

Scratch building a 4 CEP unit.

Post by majorbloodknock »

Hi.
I recently bought MJT 4 cep driving cab ends and would like to have a go at making a set.
Could any one suggest what sort of donor coach bodies would be ideal for me to scratch built
for the first time.
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Steve.
Bigmet

Re: Scratch building a 4 CEP unit.

Post by Bigmet »

I believe the driving units were based on BR mk1 SO, and the centre cars were a BR mk1 SK and BR mk1 CK. But note that 'based on'; I'll bet there were some differences, in addition to the visible electrical installations and powered bogies. But that should be reasonable for 'looks like a 4CEP'. I could have been found bouncing along in these very frequently, about fifty years ago. That's if I wasn't in the buffet car of the 4BEP in the middle of the usual 12 car formation...
SRman

Post by SRman »

I agree with Bigmet.

For all intents and purposes, the standard TK and CK coaches form the two centre coaches of a CEP unit. Underframe equipment may be simpler than the loco-hauled types. They'll also have the electrical connections on the coach ends, but when running on layout at normal viewing distances, how many people would notice whether they are there or not?

The general layout of the driving motors was based on the standard TSO, but with a guard's compartment and driving cab, so one of the passenger bays plus the toilet spaces were missing altogether at the driving end, a door vestibule missing in the centre, and there was one of the large main windows replaced by a door plus two small side windows because the seating bays were closed up to compensate for the missing centre vestibule.

There's also a heap of extra underframe equipment on the motor cars for the resistance banks and electrical control equipment. And, of course, the massive motor bogies at the driving ends.
P_20190727_101608_vHDR_On.jpg
majorbloodknock

Post by majorbloodknock »

Hi.
Thank you to you both for the information.
I'm hoping to have a go at kit bashing this unit, now I know what I'm looking for.
Much of the smaller items have been ordered, but wasn't sure of the coach bodies.
All the best.
Steve.
21C1

Post by 21C1 »

If you can find a copy of the model Railway Constructor for Jan 1961 there is an article in there to make a 4CEP from Kitmaster coaches showing you exactly where to cut and join. As hornby coaches are similar in size to Kitmaster this should help. If you cant find a copy DM me.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Just went for a casual look at Bachmann's list price for their RTR 4 CEP.

Very odd indeed. When first released it cost much the same as 4 of their mk1's, so effectively the motor unit and lighting was thrown in free. Now it's listed at 11x the typical mk1 list price. Clearly there has been a change of policy on price structures.

Here comes the really painful bit, read no further if a sensitive soul. I know someone who fancied the initial release, and nearly made the purchase when the retail price got down to £69.95 in Hattons usual late summer bargain offers. But he thought the price might come down further so held off. Predictably it sold out, and nothing like such a price was ever seen again, and he's still unhappy about that.