dynamis ultima

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
tomtom85

dynamis ultima

Post by tomtom85 »

hi, trying to confirm if this will read cv's as well write them. can't seem to get a definitive answer online. i'm looking at getting something like this as i like the large screen. i have a hornby elite but do not like the waffy controls. any other suggestions in the same price range appreciated.
thanks in advance
Bigmet

Re: dynamis ultima

Post by Bigmet »

Best suggestion, can you get to a retailer with one in stock and prepared to demonstrate the system with some 'hands on time' for yourself? The most important functionality is that it is comfortable for you to use and 'does it' the way you want, and that's a personal thing which you alone can determine.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I had, sorry still have an old Bachmann Dynamis in the loft.
Don't use it because I'm not happy with it's systems.
For CV workings I have a Digitrax Zenith and I do get along with that.
It's expensive if you get it wrong for your personal usage.

I'll hear howls of derision, but I'm happy running non-sound on one of
my Hornby Selects. But any specific programming I do on the Digitrax.

As Bigmet says see if you can get somewhere to try a couple of different
systems. Sometimes a local club can be good for that.

Geoff T.
centenary

Post by centenary »

tomtom85 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:12 am hi, trying to confirm if this will read cv's as well write them. can't seem to get a definitive answer online. i'm looking at getting something like this as i like the large screen. i have a hornby elite but do not like the waffy controls. any other suggestions in the same price range appreciated.
thanks in advance
This document on the Ultima says it can (read and write cv's) and in several places. Specifically the pages How to write an address to a decoder - Page 3 onwards.

https://www.bachmann.co.uk/dbdocument/1 ... 0guide.pdf

To my knowledge, there isnt a DCC system that will read cv's on the main ie PoMT. You have to know the cv address to call that loco up and if you want to change the value of a cv, you can but you will not know what the original cv value is. You'd have to do a full read of cv's on a programming track and record them for reference or, confine cv adjustment to the prog track.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

If you have a suitable system and decoders, you can read on the main. The only things you can't do on the main is change the address, or read it. Everything else is programmable with a suitable system.

I use a Lenz LZV200 command station, a LH100 hand set and Zimo decoders, exclusively. But this is almost certainly more than the OP wants to spend.

Can anyone come up with a cheaper option for what he wants to do?
Pete.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Peterm wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:33 am If you have a suitable system and decoders, you can read on the main. The only things you can't do on the main is change the address, or read it. Everything else is programmable with a suitable system.

I use a Lenz LZV200 command station, a LH100 hand set and Zimo decoders, exclusively. But this is almost certainly more than the OP wants to spend.

Can anyone come up with a cheaper option for what he wants to do?
Pretty much what I said, you cant read cv's on the main or at least no system I know does. You can change cv values on the main but unless you have a record of each cv's value, you wont know what you are changing it from.

The cheapest way for the OP to go is buy a SPROG 2, about £50. He'll be able to change all editable cv's on the main and programming track and, if he wants to read cv's, do this on the programming track.

The best option imho and to prevent accidentally changing all locos cv's in error, is to only do this on a programming track.

But, the Dynamis Ultima can programme and change cvs so buying even a SPROG isnt necessary.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Yes, the Sprog is the cheaper option, but I can read CV's on the main as well as changing them, as I said not able to change the address on the main for obvious reasons.
Pete.
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

tomtom85 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:12 am hi, trying to confirm if this will read cv's as well write them. can't seem to get a definitive answer online. i'm looking at getting something like this as i like the large screen. i have a hornby elite but do not like the waffy controls. any other suggestions in the same price range appreciated.
thanks in advance
As a user of Dynamis for several years (with considerable success) I can confirm that Dynamis Ultima will read and write CVs on the service track. It will not read CVs on the main track but you can write them on the main track. The only Dynamis unit which cannot read CVs at all is the basic starter unit which needs the "pro box" added to it to enable read/write functionality on a service track. I hope this answers your question regarding Dynamis.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!