Running In On The Straight.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Tiddles

Running In On The Straight.

Post by Tiddles »

Its not very often I get a new locos, but recently got a new Bachmann Pannier.

The instructions say to run it in for 30 minuets at half speed in one direction then 30 minuets in the other.

I have an End to End layout about 16 foot long. How do I run in the loco?

I could make up a loop of EZ Track but that would fill the limited floor space. Or do I buy a rolling road?
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”
Peterm

Re: Running In On The Straight.

Post by Peterm »

You've answered your own question. Just make up the loop. It's only for an hour, maximum.
Pete.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Peterm wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:42 pm You've answered your own question. Just make up the loop. It's only for an hour, maximum.
Ditto.

Most of us have at least a circle's worth of 3rd radius setrack lying around unused, so it's generally the easiest and cheapest option in a situation such as yours.

Alternatively as you've suggested, a rolling road.

I have both, but find myself spending 10 minutes setting up a basic setrack analogue loop for running in. Although perfectly capable of performing that task, the rolling road I tend to use for trouble shooting when necessary.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If you don't have a circle of set track you'll find that anywhere with second hand track will have a superabundance of 2nd radius curves and they'll likeley be cheaper than any other track pieces. I remember one dealer's advert for "track wanted" said except for curves.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

To back up what has already been posted: you want the model to perform on the rails, and running it on track is way superior to a rolling road. This is because the mechanism is fully exercised for all the movements it has to make to negotiate curves in particular. Turning it round on the circuit and running it forwards and backwards does the job.
Tiddles wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:04 pm ...The instructions say to run it in for 30 minutes at half speed in one direction then 30 minutes in the other...
All the brand's instructions I have seen tend to suggest this sort of duration. I would suggest longer, until there is no evidence of further improvement in slowest speed crawl, smoothness and reduced noise, traction. (Ten hours running is the minimum my models get, starting with a couple of hours at about quarter speed, the motor brushes will thank you for allowing them to bed in at small current. Typically the mechanism is optimised for running qualities after about 4 hours. This also flushes out any 'infant mortality' in the mechanisms: motor failure, split gears, high wear in rod pins, etc.; which is a rare event but worth catching. I do this within a couple of days of new purchase, so the item has failed very shortly after purchase.)