2024 Range

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Buelligan

2024 Range

Post by Buelligan »

Has anyone else had a look at the 2024 range? There's a few bits I'm interested in. The P2 with smoke and sound looks good, and the B1 Mayflower. I do like the early railways releases they are doing too. This years S&DR Locomotion will definitely be on my buying list, and good to see they are selling the period coaches and trucks individually now, rather than having to buy as packs. Apart from that they seem to be releasing a few 'cheap' 0-4-0's, a model of the Hornby head office and factory buildings and a few other bits that don't interest me.

Anyone else going to be putting anything on the wish list?
centenary

Re: 2024 Range

Post by centenary »

Arent both Hornby and Bachmann announcing their 2024 range today or so?

Id like to see some OO scale Midland Region coaches in maroon. In fact, Id like to see a lot of Midland Region or LMS in maroon coaches not just 1 or 2!

Id like to see another manufacturer bring an alternative OO scale HST to market than Hornby but clearly there's fat chance. I just dont see why unless there's an exclusive contract held by Hornby. Bachmann and Accurascale have both brought new 37's to market at about the same time so it cant just be they dont want to duplicate other models.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I saw it on RMweb just now. Nothing really caught my eye, I did notice that the Loriot Y wagon in GWR livery is £49.99 :shock:
Surely that's a mistake ? The iron ore tippler wagon costs less than half this amount at a not unreasonable £19.99.

Ken
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I've just looked at the 2024 range again, this time on Hornby's website. The GWR Loriot isn't shown, so maybe that was an error.
Ken
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The stand out re-release for me is the Trout ballast hopper. Among the best wagon models introduced by Hornby since the move to China, and I can use a few more.

I don't have a use for the model of Locomotion. But I did spend a couple of interesting hours with the Beamish staff when it was being operated, and it was time well spent, very informative about the degree of patience required to operate such a machine. Among other things it went into a slip on a slightly loose rail joint; then needed five minutes to recover boiler pressure before it could tackle the gradient.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Bigmet wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:24 pm I don't have a use for the model of Locomotion. But I did spend a couple of interesting hours with the Beamish staff when it was being operated, and it was time well spent.
That was the replica. Hornby are modelling the original as it is today at Shildon as a static exhibit. Q is then what differecnes are there between the original and the replica if any - thinks maybe a pressure gauge or similar which did not exist on the original.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Mike Parkes wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:16 pm That was the replica. Hornby are modelling the original as it is today at Shildon as a static exhibit. Q is then what differences are there between the original and the replica if any - thinks maybe a pressure gauge or similar which did not exist on the original.
Obviously it has to be a replica to be put in steam. The differences - largely unseen - are very significant, and start with the near 200 year advances in metallurgy, machine tool capability, lubrication materials and application, and safety provisions. (There would clearly be no prospect of obtaining insurance to operate a replica with the general public around it, built exactly as George's team probably fabricated and assembled it, using materials made by what is now historical technique.)

My opinion would be that while replicating the general design layout, with the limitations that brings; all the technique benefits will make it a safer and superior performing machine. And here's the thing, even with those benefits it needed very skilled and patient crew to be made to work at all.

The original, as built and proven to work, only did so because the the skills in construction and understanding of the principles essential to operation had been developed in the invention and development process. Clever, capable, patient and persistent people to achieve this. Truly I take my hat off to them.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Ken Shabby wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:04 pm I've just looked at the 2024 range again, this time on Hornby's website. The GWR Loriot isn't shown, so maybe that was an error...
What I recall seeing in Hornby's list is a GWR design Lowmac in BR grey livery with a BR maroon liveried Coles crane on it.
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Thankfully there is absolutely nothing in the 2024 range which I want. That means I can keep my bank card in the fridge, cooling off nicely!
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Metadyneman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:10 am... I can keep my bank card in the fridge, cooling off nicely!
Better to park it on the intake of your air-sourced heat pump to scavenge the energy, it's a partial refund... ;D
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

The Loriot (Lowmac) is still there, in BR livery with a cheap Corgi Coles crane, but it's £65.

https://uk.hornby.com/products/br-lorio ... a-4-r60238

No, me neither.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Screenshot_20240113_005709_Chrome.jpg
As seen on RMweb , but not the Hornby website.
Ken
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

While I like to have the odd variants among wagons, at that price the GCR/LNER/BR lowmac design series model as produced by Airfix GMR that is now with Hornby will do, 'salted' with a couple of the Airfix kits of the GER 14T design. (I could use an LMS machinery truck as these would be much more numerous, must look for a kit.)
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I'm still waiting on stuff from the 2019 range, some of which is just reliveries!