Hattons closing down

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Re: Hattons closing down

Post by Bufferstop »

You must have missed this
bulleidboy wrote: ↑Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:30 pm
It was a little vague, but on a recent post on an American model railway forum, it mentioned that Hattons bought MB Klein, and the business closed-down immediately and all stock removed! Suggestion was that Hatton just bought the name? Sadly it is all now water under the bridge.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

I did miss it! Oops. I hadn't realised the thread was 4 pages long, (it's a very small phone, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ...). Apologies.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Morayshire

Post by Morayshire »

Jenny Kirk's Monday Club Youtube show had an interview with Dave Hatton. Link is below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-8-s75oYcBM
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

stuartp wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:17 pm ...Or you could buy a large online retailer in the US with it, which I don't think has been mentioned on here yet
Since the purchase in November last year I have been wondering why, and now:
Bigmet wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:31 pm I am increasingly of the opinion that the purchase of MB Klein is a move to a location where the immediate financial prospects look better...
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Bigmet wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:19 pm
stuartp wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:17 pm ...Or you could buy a large online retailer in the US with it, which I don't think has been mentioned on here yet
Since the purchase in November last year I have been wondering why, and now:
Bigmet wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:31 pm I am increasingly of the opinion that the purchase of MB Klein is a move to a location where the immediate financial prospects look better...
The last I saw said that both companies would be closing.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Everything 'must go!' by 4 Feb according to latest email from Hattons. Sounds like that the final day of operation so if you have your eye on anything, better be quick.
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

centenary wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:33 pm Everything 'must go!' by 4 Feb according to latest email from Hattons. Sounds like that the final day of operation so if you have your eye on anything, better be quick.
I saw that announcement on Facebook, but there's not a lot left now, not in OO gauge anyway, seemed to mostly be pre-owned stock, and a couple of Rapido APT's
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

And is now shut. Though you have to look around the front page a little! https://www.hattons.co.uk/
Free_at_last

Post by Free_at_last »

Who will support the warranty on the still to come Hattons Originals?
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?
centenary

Post by centenary »

Free_at_last wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:51 pm Who will support the warranty on the still to come Hattons Originals?
For new stock with proof of purchase, it would fall to the manufacturer to put any defects right Although if bought with a credit car for over £100, the card issuer would be on the hook. For used items, the buyer would be on their own.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Although I've spent a few thousand at Hatton's over the years once they announced the complete
and quite rapid closure I made a point of not placing any more orders.
I was not wanting to plunder any deals they may have had, best to look after those who will be my
sources in the future.
Thank you Hatton's for what you've done in the past, but the future is now my priority.

Geoff T.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Is sad they have closed.

I also don't like change. What I mean by this, is solid features of change. It feels claustrophobic. The features one assume that will always be there are not.

Is like wanting to visit friends who have passed away and then suddenly realizing they are no longer there. Claustrophobic feeling of having the rug removed so one does not know what to stand on, so one is standing on straws to try and find where the new "Normality" is.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Hattons may have gone but there are still a number of model shops on the net. Id say the big 2 are now Rails and TMC, others may disagree.

It seems Rails and to a lesser extent, TMC, are still giving large discounts or at least undercutting MRP. Whether that is a sign actual sales are \ have slowed or merely an attempt to drag in ex Hattons customers, I dont know.

The smaller High St shops will still have to run to keep standing and sell other lines of modelling and are unlikely to be able to match Rails prices at least.

BTW, I always found Rails were a pounds or two more expensive, like for like, of locos and higher end rolling stock.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Mountain wrote:
Is sad they have closed. I also don't like change.
I can understand that. I have found Rails and TMC easy and efficient to deal with, but I'll miss browsing through Hattons' pre-owned pages.
Morayshire

Post by Morayshire »

Some more positive news.

Rails and Accurascale have taken on the Hattons Originals.

Rails has picked up the coaches while Accurascale have taken on the Barclays, P's and warwells and are also hinting about other ex Hatton products to come