Moveable Baseboard.

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
paulcornish

Moveable Baseboard.

Post by paulcornish »

I need to construct one section of baseboard that will need to be mobile as it will run over the top of the stairwell so I am looking for different ideas. The first one that springs to mind is a hinged arrangement but I am very interested to see any different ideas that people might have. I've tried to attach a couple of photos but it just comes up as file too big so that's scuppered that idea.

Paul.
Bufferstop

Re: Moveable Baseboard.

Post by Bufferstop »

Some pictures or drawings of the proposed site would certainly help. Try loading them into a photo editor and re-saving a version at a lower resolution, something that gives a width of around 1000 pixels should be ok. You might see a lower figure quoted but the software has been upgraded since then. If it's a typical British semi's stairwell you can usually get a couple of feet that can remain in place without banging heads.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
paulcornish

Post by paulcornish »

I'm not that great with technology especially when it comes to placing things into files etc...

I have just printed a few and scanned them. When I attached from my scan listings it worked.
Attachments
CCI_000504.jpg
CCI_000503.jpg
CCI_000502.jpg
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

How big do you want the section above the stair to be. If you pin a string to the top corner of the opening through the wall and stretch it up parallel to the slope of the handrail it will show how far out you can put a fixed board, anything further will need to be hinged (lift out sections above a stair well are a no-no as they will either be dropped if you reach out, or topple you down the stair well if you try to try to put them in place whilst standing on the steps.)
It looks as though the stairs come up in a dormer so hinging from the side wall may be problematical. If the appearance when open for access isn't a consideration I'd suggest adding a padded panel to the underside and hinging it below the window, you would then only have to raise it to be parallel with the handrail to give a consistent height above the steps.
There have been a couple of layouts described on the site that utilised the space above the stairs, you'll probably get other suggestions on how to achieve it.

John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions