Locomotive Recommendations Please

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Martin1946

Locomotive Recommendations Please

Post by Martin1946 »

I am looking to buy a 4P 2-6-4T Loco in LMS Livery, ERA 3, preferably Crimson to run on a 00 gauge layout with DC Controllers. (H & M Duette & Clipper). Budget is £40 to £60. Quite a few advertised on E**y eg. R055, R088, R224 etc., some DCC Ready. Which are my best options? TIA

Best wishes to All for Christmas
captrees

Re: Locomotive Recommendations Please

Post by captrees »

Are you committed to the Hornby Fowler 4P? IMO Its a poor runner. At least mine is. Its been relegated to the back of the drawer while my Bachmann equivalents, an Ivatt and a Fairburn are much better runners.

I always wondered how long those red locos stayed that colour.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Martin1946 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:59 pm ...Which are my best options?...
Straightforwardly, 'none of the above'. You might luck in to a decent runner, but the odds are against you. It's a design from at least 40 years ago (and Hornby cheaped out on their Stanier 4P by using the same mechanism). Second problem, any in red livery are very unlikely to be in your target price bracket. I would want to see either of these run before purchase; this is always a good idea with s/h, and always so with those known to have less than wonderful mechanisms.

The star of the show in LMS 2-6-4T models is Bachmann's Fairburn. But of course it's not Era 3, and can only carry a red livery if it's a model of 'in preservation condition'. I have one to represent the LMS and BR 2-6-4T family, and it's a beauty which runs and pulls sweetly, with none of the construction complications of the Bachmann BR Std 2-6-4T.
Martin1946

Post by Martin1946 »

Thanks for the advice. I was brought up in CLC country, a stone's throw from Heaton Mersey Sidings and the 4P and Black 5 (which I have) are my favourites. I will look at the suggestions.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Ah, the CLC, how about a lovely GCR or LNER green 9N/A5 4-6-2T? Fine model from a new player, 'Sonic'. The designer is ex-Bachmann.
viewtopic.php?t=36028&start=165