New layout, advice

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
BrightHelmStone

New layout, advice

Post by BrightHelmStone »

I am about to start the build but have some concerns about the track design.

I have attached the design. I realise it is a chase-the-tail type which is not everyone's preference but I would like that as my son will be using it as well.

I wanted a large goods yard as well.

I have kept all curves to minimum R2 as I have locos with this restriction. Most of the points are Peco medium size SL-E95 & SL-E96.

My concern is that the track to edge of the board is only 5cm. So locos may fall off the edge if too fast. I can make it smaller left and right but to bring the edge track inwards on the top and bottom means I have no room to insert the points on left and right.

Can anyone one suggest an improvement? While keeping to R2 curves?

Your ideas would be appreciated.
Attachments
design.jpg
Dad-1

Re: New layout, advice

Post by Dad-1 »

First, great that you are planning to use live-frog pointwork. That is the first step towards
good running properties.

Lines close to the edge - The easy way is to have a wall along sections that are posing a
potential threat to flying. I mean 5 cm is damn near 2" (I think in Imperial measurements).
If you want to go scenic you can add a low bank at the wall base, this will also act as a deflector
keeping things on the board.

I designed a 'Thomas' layout for children to drive. The whole track section is sunk within a bowl
and over 50 public running exhibitions nothing has ever come off the boards.

https://youtu.be/72qwzHSzMeg?si=K6Qg6SvyktYKyvjN

As you can see there is a bank, but the overall height is not much and these tracks must be close
to 2" from infinity.

Geoff T.
centenary

Post by centenary »

BrightHelmStone wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:30 pm I am about to start the build but have some concerns about the track design.

I have attached the design. I realise it is a chase-the-tail type which is not everyone's preference but I would like that as my son will be using it as well.

I wanted a large goods yard as well.

I have kept all curves to minimum R2 as I have locos with this restriction. Most of the points are Peco medium size SL-E95 & SL-E96.

My concern is that the track to edge of the board is only 5cm. So locos may fall off the edge if too fast. I can make it smaller left and right but to bring the edge track inwards on the top and bottom means I have no room to insert the points on left and right.

Can anyone one suggest an improvement? While keeping to R2 curves?

Your ideas would be appreciated.
One of the advantages of DCC if you're using that instead of old fashioned DC is, you can limit the top speed of the locos via the relevant cv. This means that no matter how fully turned up the throttle is, the locos will not go faster than their pre programmed top speed.

If you are going DC then raised edges of the boards via 3" or so with ply, narrow skirting board or just hard board will help stop locos coming off the layout. This wont stop them falling over on curves if going full chat.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

What are the overall dimensions of the layout? Assuming that the yellow rectangle is the operator location, reaching into the top corners of the plan may be something of a stretch. A reach of significantly more than two feet starts to become awkward from the tracklaying stage onward, and yet more so when an adjustment or modification is required to overcome a problem. Enlarging the operator location will help.

As a layout providing tracks on which decent length trains can be run simultaneously, and stock can be independently shunted, I'd enjoy the design.
Steam4ever

Post by Steam4ever »

Hi, impressive design with a lot going on. My concern would be about what point motors you are planning to use. With a lot of points very close together you may struggle if you want to install slow action point motors like Tortoise or Cobalt. Also you will need to plan carefully to ensure turnout dropper are not right over a timber supporting the board. Otherwise, good luck with the layout which should provide plenty of action.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

Steam4ever wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:42 pmAlso you will need to plan carefully to ensure turnout dropper are not right over a timber supporting the board.
When faced with this problem, I've found that you can usually overcome it by angling the drill quite steeply as you make the hole, so it comes through the underside clear of the framework.
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Add a Perspex edge so if said trains leve the track the Perspex stops them taking flight and aiming head first for the floor and oblivion.