Parcel coach

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Geordie088

Parcel coach

Post by Geordie088 »

Morning all!

I’ve been looking to pick up some of the old Blue style parcels coaches that I seem to remember being everywhere back in the day. I’m struggling to find any new on the major suppliers and on flea bay, there only seem to be a few and not of the greatest quality.

Am I missing something here or were they/ are they just not produced in any sort of numbers to make them common place.

Many thanks

Steve
Bufferstop

Re: Parcel coach

Post by Bufferstop »

They probably didn't go down that well in the toy trade, so an item more likely to appeal to knowledgeable modelers. If they were slow sellers there wouldn't be many re runs.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bachmann are listing four to be produced, Thompson (LNER) BG, BR GUV, SR 4W type; these in all over BR blue, and the BR BG in a BR network livery.
https://www.bachmann.co.uk/category/mod ... hes?page=1

Earlier products from Bachmann: 34-652, A (early model, notably inaccurate)
BR GUV, all over BR blue 39-272, A, B
BR BG all over BR blue 39-182 A, B
BR BG BR blue and grey 39-175, A, B, C

The letters after the catalogue number indicate re-runs of the base item, new running number and often added stuff like 'express parcels', 'newspapers', later BR vehicle codes.

There is a Stanier 50ft full brake in Bachmann's range, don't have a catalogue number for a BR blue version

Hornby have some potential vehicles that could be turned out in BR blue, Gresley, Hawksworth, Stanier, full brakes for example.
R4606 any good?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186020335059 ... i4QAvD_BwE
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Lima Siphon G's can be found quite readily in BR Blue now that the Accurascale one is out. Mainline ex LMS Parcels coaches are quite nice and can be found in BR blue and Blue/Grey. It's fairly easy to repaint coaches in plain BR Blue and Replica Railways still have some new affordable Mk1 full brakes left http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/menusep3/menuassembled .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Geordie088

Post by Geordie088 »

Thanks for your thoughts guys and the detailed replies. I will look into the suggestions you’ve given me.
I did see the stuff on eBay but it just seems to be a small amount of coaches available. When I look at layouts, they all seem to have parcels coaches and wondered where they all came from??

Thanks also for the suggestion about buying and repainting. This is probably not an option for me I’m afraid as my artist skills really aren’t that good. I need stuff off the shelf ideally 😂

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Geordie088 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:05 am ...When I look at layouts, they all seem to have parcels coaches and wondered where they all came from?...
There's a simple explanation. From the late 1990's Bachmann really kicked off with their 'Blue Riband' range expansion, Hornby joined in from 2001, and there was a decade of relatively modest cost OO with a broader coverage of locos and rolling stock than had ever been seen before. This product sold very briskly to people like me who had always wanted superior OO made to the standard that had been commonplace in HO for over 40 years, and I should think most of the owners are still holding onto it!

In 'parcels' stock it's mostly RTR and some kits for my modelling of the BR maroon period. The RTR: Gresley, Thompson, BR, Stanier, Hawksworth BG's, Southern wooden bodied 4 wheelers, GW siphon and BR GUV; then from Kits Gresley 52'6" and 51' non gangwayed BG's, Thompson planked body BG, GN bogie milk, LNER 4W 'Pigeon van' GW 'Monster'. With past a dozen vehicle types to choose among obtained over the past 24 years that's enough variety for parcels, newspaper, homing pigeon traffic.