Free Age of Steam Sound Effects

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Martin1946

Free Age of Steam Sound Effects

Post by Martin1946 »

Came up with a wacky idea I thought I would share with you.

You can download lots of Steam Train Sound Effects from the BBC Sound Effects web-site. They have released them Free To Use for private purposes only. The easiest way to find them is to type 'Age of Steam' in the search box on the web page (Google BBC Sound Effects) and select Transport in Category,. Bingo!

No need to buy steam-ready locos and/or DCC, the challenge will be to match the most suitable sound, or combination of sounds, to whatever you are doing, probably best if you have headphones on to get the best effect.

You don't even need to be running your trains if you just want to reminisce, or block out unwanted exterior sounds :)

Does it "Sound" like fun or have I just lost the plot?

Thankyou for reading.

Martin (New Member)
pete12345

Re: Free Age of Steam Sound Effects

Post by pete12345 »

Me and Dad did this years ago. He had a free "Sounds of Steam" cassette tape with a magazine, so we used it set up beneath the layout. It was enough of an ambient background effect to suggest things were happening.
Phred

Post by Phred »

I stuck my mobile phone on 'record' in front of the PC speaker while watching a YouTube video of a diesel shed, then hid the phone inside the maintenance shed on my layout. Sounded pretty good to me but then my wife says I'm tone deaf, so...
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Back in the eighties, my dad came home with a 7 inch single featuring a recording of a rail tour with H2 Atlantic Beachy Head on one side, and Terriers on the Hayling island branch on the other. I used to play it while I ran my old Airfix 4F around my tiny layout.
The problem was it had to be played louder than The Who to be heard over the tender drive motor.

Ken
SRman

Post by SRman »

This could be a very interesting idea. I have only started dabbling with the ESU LokProgrammer software to create my own project by combining sounds from their free library of sounds. While my effort is nowhere near perfect, it does sound satisfactory enough for me to take my time with further developments of it.

For the record, I took the ESU Bulleid Merchant Navy sound file and altered the chuff rate to match (or at the very least, represent) a 2-cylinder SECR C class 0-6-0. I had t find other whistles and that's the least satisfactory part of my effort so far - I used a German electric loco whistle. I also muted or eliminated some of the other sounds, like the loud turbine whine and air pump which they recorded from a preserved example.

The BBC sounds might allow me to do something better still.

https://youtu.be/QYO4l0i8T10
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Alexa - play steam engine sounds.
She doesn’t seem to do diesels tho’.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Phred

Post by Phred »

RAF96 wrote:
Alexa - play steam engine sounds.
She doesn’t seem to do diesels tho’.
Strangely, both Alexa and Google ignore my voice entirely, yet instantly comply with any command issued by my five year old granddaughter. Go figure.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hi all, picked up this beauty at the local antique centre this morning.
R-11143483-1510657582-6284.jpg
R-11143483-1510657582-6284.jpg (85.79 KiB) Viewed 779 times
The dealer had loads to sell at £5 each, in perfect condition. Just bought the one as I also bought a class 31, three Hornby sleeping cars and some wagons so I didn't want to push it!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The work of Peter Handford, of whose live outdoor recording work I remain in awe. The recording at Ribblehead of an 8F barking it's way against the grade on freight in November 59 is like music.
Chops

Post by Chops »

A little mystified; it's "free" claim redirects one directly to purchase some sort of "Data Shield." I am not interested in purchasing it, but seem forced to do so if I should proceed. Have I misunderstood?
Nessie rocks!
Chops

Post by Chops »

A little mystified; it's "free" claim redirects one directly to purchase some sort of "Data Shield." I am not interested in purchasing it, but seem forced to do so if I should proceed. Have I misunderstood?
Nessie rocks!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Not a clue, but as this is a BBC item then they may well be charging anyone outside the UK, what with UK residents paying a compulsory fee to fund it, simply for the joy of owning a TV... (It's something of a touchy subject here. I'd have them privatised tomorrow and told that since they tell us they are so brilliant, they will have no trouble funding themselves from pay per view packages, like any other broadcasting outfit. Oh yes, and all their past product is a national possession, made using our money, and passes to a 'not for profit' body to fund the NHS or schools or pothole repairs...)