Rapido Port of Par Bagnall Tanks

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
End2end

Rapido Port of Par Bagnall Tanks

Post by End2end »

I received an email today showing the forthcoming Port of Par Bagnall Tanks from Rapido.
Perfect for my layout but I only want the Alfred loco that only comes in a set of 2 loco's. :roll:

I wouldn't buy the sound version as I know the loco would need a stay alive capacitor added for my set track points.

I'm not exactly sure what this means "Sadly, it has not been possible to make the full Bagnall-Price valve gear operational due to the size and clearance of the parts – but we hope the few parts (that are mostly hidden) that don’t move will not detract from the overall model."

There's some excellent pictures of the loco in action. It's a slide show so sit back and enjoy the pictures lower down on the page.
Plus some interesting history to go along with the pictures.
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/port-of-par-bagnall-tanks/

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Re: Rapido Port of Par Bagnall Tanks

Post by Bigmet »

End2end wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:28 pm ...I'm not exactly sure what this means "Sadly, it has not been possible to make the full Bagnall-Price valve gear operational due to the size and clearance of the parts – but we hope the few parts (that are mostly hidden) that don’t move will not detract from the overall model."...
I had to look around for information when I read that piece (after yesterday ordering the Rapido J52/2 as preserved, genuinely excited about this as Captain Bill had this loco at Marshmoor, a short cycle ride from home when I was a kid, and it ran along the ECML onto the Hertford branch for filming).

Anyhoo, the gear is one of many adaptions of the basic Walschaerts layout, primarily for compactness on small wheeled locos, and the PoP locos were compact alright! In 4mm just too many (often tiny) moving pieces stacked up in very little space for a RTR assembly to be practical, it's watchmaker's work. Determined scratchbuilders territory in short, it would hold no terrors for the likes of Prof Watson of The MRC. See the NER pacific build for Copenhagen Fields and hold your breath:
https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=375

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Bagnall-Price valve gear here:
https://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/11 ... _gears.htm
End2end

Post by End2end »

I see what you mean Bigmet. Very complex. :shock:

Mrs End2end has pre-ordered me a pair of the Bagnalls for a Christmas present.
She had to tell me as I was just about to put down the deposit. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Hey-hey, Somebody loves you and can read your mind. ;)