Laser cut buildings - pros and cons

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
ModelRailwayQuest

Laser cut buildings - pros and cons

Post by ModelRailwayQuest »

What's your go-to kit for buildings on your model railway layouts? I've used cardboard and plastic in the past - but for the Brief Encounter monochrome model railway I had to do something different and use laser cut 3mm plywood - the first time I've ever worked with it.
I definitely found lots of pros - and just a few minor cons - with laser cut. Here's a review.

https://youtu.be/bTKR4-5JzDA?si=YcBfMExkXZcU5_9A
End2end

Re: Laser cut buildings - pros and cons

Post by End2end »

There are no coincidences.
I've bought their HL001 Small School. It should be with me tomorrow. :D

You skimmed over the paint pens you use in the video. They sound interesting for doing thin lines. Can you elaborate on what they are please?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Re: Laser cut buildings - pros and cons

Post by TimberSurf »

There is a very limited selection of laser cut items, compared to plastic kits, but the vast range of good plastic kits are HO!
Laser cut can be extremely good, L-Cut being one of them. A great supplier is Petite Properties, but they tend to be plain faced, so need further work to make brick or stone, by adding plasti-card or printed paper sheets, so are in essence a skeleton base. One advantage, is large buildings like old ware houses and modern portal factories, can be big! I personally don't like the 'Fingers' that are used on the corners and have had bad experience with the tiny fingers on brickwork, not fitting each other.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!