Fitting Cab Lights

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Mark19

Fitting Cab Lights

Post by Mark19 »

Hi all I am trying to fit cab lights to my hornby Class 66 that has 21 pin decoder socket I cant work out what pin is what and were I need to wire the I need to find out what pin AUX1 is and were do I connect the negative side of the lights to ground or to pin 16 common ? any advice would be great as I cant get a reply from Illuminated models

Thanks
Mark
RAF96

Re: Fitting Cab Lights

Post by RAF96 »

IMG_1275.jpeg
HM7000 pin outs but the decoder fits a standard 21-pin socket. Hardware function outputs (HFOs) are switched negatives in conjunction with common positive.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Mark19

Post by Mark19 »

Hi Raf96

Thanks for the chart its really helpful however I am still unsure which way around to wire the cab light I may be over thinking things so

Pin16 is V+ Common
and Pin 15 is Aux 1

but do I wire the

LED Positive to Pin 15 Aux 1
LED Negative to pin 16 Decoder Positive Common. I have tried this and it didn't work

or

LED Positive to pin 16 decoder common
LED Negative to Pin 15 decoder Aux 1

LED positive to Pin 15 Aux one
Led Negative to Pin 20 decoder Ground

Any more advice would be very grateful

Thanks
Mark
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

It's all in the name. Pos' to Pos.
Pete.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

If you want Aux 1 to operate the cab lights wire the LED with suitable series resistor - LED Anode (positive) to 16 and Cathode (negative) to 15
If you want Aux 2 to operate the cab lights wire the LED with suitable series resistor - LED Anode (positive) to 16 and Cathode (negative) to 14
If you want Aux 3 to operate the cab lights wire the LED with suitable series resistor - LED Anode (positive) to 16 and Cathode (negative) to 13

Standard LEDs have a longer lead as the Anode and their shorter one is Cathode (negative).
Always ensure you have a series resistor fitted. I would be looking for at least a 1K (1000 Ohm) 1/4watt. Higher Ohm value can be used to reduce the LEDs brightness. :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Mark19

Post by Mark19 »

Thank you for your help I will try this