Making a pickup wagon for a Peckett W4 ?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
End2end

Making a pickup wagon for a Peckett W4 ?

Post by End2end »

I've hunted and hunted the net trying to find a step by step guide to adding a pickup wagon to a Hornby Peckett W4 but cannot find anything.
The nearest I have found is the end product of adding DCC sound (as mentioned in an old copy of the Hornby magazine - top video link) or adding a pickup wagon to a standard sized 0-4-0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HDFX9cuK0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO84Y8VR6sY
This is the video of the Pug 0-4-0 with added pick up wagon.
Unlike what you would imagine, the power is transferred from the pickup wagon to the loco by the wires touching the backs of the loco wheels. NOT by cutting into or attaching/soldering the pickup wagon's wiring INSIDE the loco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I5GnRvhxbo

Has anyone attempted to make a pickup wagon for a W4 and how did you did you manage to connect the wires at the loco end?

The Peckett is so tiny is adding a pickup wagon even possible?
I would like it so the pickup wagon can be separated from the loco.
I need to increase pickup for my W4 on my dead frog points.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
heda

Re: Making a pickup wagon for a Peckett W4 ?

Post by heda »

If your using digital could you use a chip with stay alive
Dave
End2end

Post by End2end »

I'm not sure it would or where it would fit heda. :?
I think the sound equipped Peckett's from what I have seen, run on electro frog points eliminating the need for a stay alive although I'm not 100% sure on that as I just cannot find any conversion to follow. :?
It's tiny size alone causes practical issues.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
heda

Post by heda »

Drop this chap a line, he's very helpful. He fitted a chip to my Terrier which I wouldn't attempt.
I supplied a chip as I had bought a few, it was to big, he took it in part exchange and supplied something suitable. He does seem very knowledgeable about what can and can't be done, it will cost you nothing to ask.
Dave

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/services/
End2end

Post by End2end »

That's very handy,. Thanks heda. :)

Just on the off chance, does anyone have Hornby Magazine 117 from March 2017 with the article about converting the Peckett W4 to DCC sound?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I've made pick up wagons. Cut a piece of vero board so you have two tracks to solder to. Cut to the length you want and use nickel silver wire or phosphor bronze strip to make the pick ups. Also solder a wire to each side of the vero board, long enough to reach the loco's pick up wires, taking note of polarity and routing the wires to suit. I've used 5 minute Araldite to glue it to the wagon. You should be able to find room in the cab for a speaker. I can't help with the decoder fitment in the loco as I've never seen inside one, but Paul has obviously found or made space. If you want the wagon to be detachable, you can use a small two pin JST plug and socket.

I have a B4 that I'm planning to fit sound in and this presents a bit of a challenge too, but I'll get round to it eventually when funds permit the cost of a decoder and postage to Ox.
Pete.
SRman

Post by SRman »

I haven't tried to fit sound in a Peckett, but I did fit standard decoders (TCS M1 or M4) using the 4-pin interface. In doing so, I noted that the space for a decoder is fairly big, because Hornby's own decoders are not exactly small, but also, the 4-pin interface plug and socket are quite large. If fitting a sound decoder, one of the micro decoders would probably fit in either space (the latter space where the plug and socket are would then need the decoder to be hard-wired).

As for where a speaker or keep-alive would go, I can't really say.

When replacing the body, be very careful where those internal wires go. There is very little clearance between the inside recess in the body, and the top of the chassis block, and it would be very easy to guillotine one or both wires. Please don't ask me how I know this! :lol:
Hornby Peckett with TCS M1 Decoder Installed - 2.jpg
Hornby Peckett with TCS M1 Decoder Installed - 1.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

I think I injected a bit of confusion in my last post. :? Sorry about that.
I don't want to add sound to the Peckett. I just know that it has been done and is shown in the Hornby Magazine Issue 117.
The running samples I have seen do not use a pick up wagon as the layouts I have seen them running on have eletro frog points.

My main problem is trying to work out How / Where to connect the wires coming from a pick up wagon to the Peckett as it is so small.
Magazines and videos make it look larger than its diminutive size.

My second problem will come in the guise of trying to make my "Fowey" weathered shunters truck into a pick up wagon.
Something I have never attempted before and again, it's very small. :?

@PeterM do you have any pictures of the underside of your pick up wagons per chance I could peruse please?

@SRMan I cheated (sort of) and just installed the recommended Hornby 4 pin decoder.
If I could get my hands on Hornby mag 117, I could read and see how the sound project fitted and where space is available in the Peckett.

As this loco is so tiny it certainly is a challenge. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

When making the actual pick ups, what size/width of phosphor bronze strip do you / should I use?
Is phosphor bronze strip okay for pick ups for spoked wagon wheels too?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Have you seen Bachmann's more recent coach bogies with electrical pick up from the pinpoints, such as on their MU's and Thompson coaches?

https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/cate ... 29/36-006b

These require split axle wheel sets to function, Bachmann used these very regularly prior the 'Blue Riband' launch, so can be got s/h. The benefit is that this pick up method causes no incremental drag, yet better, it is typically more free-rolling than the 'pinpoint in plastic dimple' standard in RTR OO and requires no adjusment; very helpful for use with the lightweight traction that can use extra pick ups.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Unfortunately although good, those won't work in this scenario Bigmet.
Great for lighting coaches / carriages though. :)
This is one of the shunter's trucks I wish to try to add the pick ups too.
https://www.hattons.co.uk/164236/hornby ... tockdetail

I visited Gaugemaster today and they don't sell phosphor bronze strip. :roll:
In fact I've come to the conclusion they don't really sell items for the scratch building or over-enthusiastic amateur. I only found a few bits of plasti-struct items and a handful of Slaters bits and pieces. If you want off the shelf / rtr they have it in spades... expensive spades. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

What about fitting a Lais stay alive in the cab. That's what I did with my B4. A couple of crew members and you're pushed to see it. I removed the shrink wrap on mine and painted it matt black.
Pete.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Peterm wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:37 am What about fitting a Lais stay alive in the cab. That's what I did with my B4. A couple of crew members and you're pushed to see it. I removed the shrink wrap on mine and painted it matt black.
Are the B4 and the W4 cabs the same dimensions? I honestly don't know.
But you raise a good point Peterm.
By combining the 2 ideas I MIGHT be able to add a stay-alive capacitor on the shunter's truck / pickup wagon under the tool box. :idea:

Why is it my 'big ideas' always have to fit inside such small spaces. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

I am now in possession of 2 Ruston pick up wagons (not the loco's, just the wagons) with pick-ups and a 2 pin plug that would connect to the Ruston loco's socket.
What I need now is the matching female socket (with wires) to attach to the 2 pin plug on the wagon.
Does anyone have a Ruston and could advise on the purchase of said matching socket?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Sorry for the late reply. You can get small 2 pin JST plugs and sockets either from the internet or electronics suppliers. Been away too long to know what shops you have, but I think Maplins is popular. I only just found that home made pick up wagon, yesterday. :roll:
Pete.