(Mis)Using A Dapol Impirium Decoder

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Richard08

(Mis)Using A Dapol Impirium Decoder

Post by Richard08 »

Is there anything preventing using an Impirium decoder for coach lighting (7mm) - I've a project in mind and have one knocking about. Or does anyone make decoders specifically for coach lighting as Plan B? This is for O gauge, so 00/N lighting kits are N/A, and a capacitor stay-alive is essential (not battery) - I never have resolved if the Impirium can have stay-alive added without introducing smoke effects.
Bigmet

Re: (Mis)Using A Dapol Impirium Decoder

Post by Bigmet »

I make regular use of 'failed' loco decoders (early test purchases when choice was limited and most brands were dire, and damaged decoders from locos,which have been replaced with superior items) because the low current draw of LED's is something which even the least capable decoders can handle when used as a light switch!

Dapol's Imperium badged decoders are probably Lais in origin, so there should be stay alives available for some at least.

(I haven't bothered with stay alives for DCC, the locos simply don't need it; and it's only a couple of coaches that are individually lit, most are in sets through wired with a dozen and more wheelsets picking up so pretty much bombproof against power loss. And then there's realism: BR's end of steam period coaches regularly exhibited flickering lights...)
Bufferstop

Re: (Mis)Using A Dapol Impirium Decoder

Post by Bufferstop »

Bigmet wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:23 pm( BR's end of steam period coaches regularly exhibited flickering lights...)
Not to mention dim! Warm white LEDs and a couple of extra diodes should get the period gloomy effect.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions