Buffer Stop Tests.

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Mountain

Buffer Stop Tests.

Post by Mountain »

https://youtu.be/uYByVsC_IxY

Similar results in regards to our models.
Phred

Re: Buffer Stop Tests.

Post by Phred »

Ouch!
That first buffer in the video (the one without back struts) looks like it's been fitted back to front. Why would they do it that way?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I don't know. One thing I noticed though is how when the rest of the buffer stops were hit, it took the track with it! They must have had a lot of work to clean ballast and relay track/change buffer stops etc to try these experiments!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Immediately post-war activity to provide evidence for selection of buffer stop designs 'fit for purpose', as locations requiring them came up for repair, renewal or either new build / complete reconstruction. The wagons used when the detail can be seen were already out of traffic and allocated to engineer departments, some already damaged. I imagine the wagon weighting will have been spent ballast or the like.

Fun to watch: modelling challenge, can you make buffer stops and rails weak enough to get bent when wagons run into them?