Permament Layouts?

Flag up Exhibitions and Events in your area, or that others may not hear about.
Chuffinell

Permament Layouts?

Post by Chuffinell »

Just wondered if there was a list (website/soc media etc) of these that exist across the UK?
Seemed to be many more in my youth than today (like the former Alton Towers one), but they seem to be less prevalent these days.
I do go to see the Famous Trains layout at Derby now and again, but a full list would be great.
Bufferstop

Re: Permament Layouts?

Post by Bufferstop »

The trouble with permanent layouts is the amount of upkeep they need. Exhibition layouts get taken down and can be given a dusting and cleaning before the next outing. Last year two of the layouts I visited (I won't name them) hadn't been dusted in years, you could barely make out the colours on the scenery on one of them.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Bufferstop wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:18 pm The trouble with permanent layouts is the amount of upkeep they need. Exhibition layouts get taken down and can be given a dusting and cleaning before the next outing. Last year two of the layouts I visited (I won't name them) hadn't been dusted in years, you could barely make out the colours on the scenery on one of them.
I remember the model railway that used to live on the sea front at Weymouth (it's now a coffee shop). I used to visit it as a kid and was always slightly disappointed that a derailed Freightliner trail was never re-railed. Fast forward 15 years and there I am waiting my next turn so I dragged my Driver in for a look. Still derailed.
Bigmet

Re: Permanent Layouts?

Post by Bigmet »

Nothing very comprehensive. Aabout the best I can find and it is way incomplete:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_model_railways

You might think that 'The Oldie' aka Railway Modeller potentially has the knowledge base, perhaps worth a quick root around on what Peco have online?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I 'found one' yesterday when a friend took me to Winchcombe station, Glos and Warks Rly in the Cotswolds. An OO layout Ingeniously constructed inside two thirds of the length of a former BR mk1 mail coach, and fully protected from the hands of younger visitors - of whom there were many - by robust full height locked glazing. The track space, which is well equipped with lay-by loops at rear, and platform loops at the front on show, means that eight trains can be distributed around the two track mainline, with at least two trains always running. And there's ample stock to ring the changes too.

Largely based on RTR, and definitely not a 'purist's layout'; massively enjoyed by the children who majored on seeing the trains running, and asking for particular loco and stock combinations. I was very impressed to see an early Hornby tender drive Black 5 pulling like fury: an ingenious modification by 'someone' who had installed what must have been the original all wheel drive 'Silver Seal' motor inside an H-D or Wrenn all cast metal bodied Stanier tender from an 8F. No need for traction tyres with all that weight on it, clever job.

There's an N gauge layout currently nearing completion in the remaining space in the coach.