Rock 'N Roll

What are you up to on your workbench
Richard08

Rock 'N Roll

Post by Richard08 »

As part of the upheavals caused by Mr. Whippy, stage 1 (groan) of the festival project is complete (bar fixing the planks). Turns out scaffolding is almost exactly 1.2mm in O, and guess who had accidentally ordered a ruck of such brass rod a few months ago. It is foretold..... Also, my unofficial sponsor's stirrers are only just under standard width for scaffold boards. Now for some sort of covering.
DSC01949.resized.JPG
DSC01946.resized.JPG
Bigmet

Re: Rock 'N Roll

Post by Bigmet »

What acts have you booked? Bouch Boys, The Enginemen, Ironhorse, The Rolling Stock, The Six Pistons, Trainosaurus Rex?
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Richard08,

If EVER there was a place for sound !!!
Could you feed sound from an old CD player, walkman tapes too old now ??

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Dad-1 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:22 am Hi Richard08,

If EVER there was a place for sound !!!
Could you feed sound from an old CD player, walkman tapes too old now ??

Geoff T.
Funny you should mention that ;-) The stage will have the usual 'banner' along the front, hiding the underneath, and the usual junk (PA cases and so on) by the sides, so putting and hiding a speaker underneath it is easy. Somewhere I stumbled across a DCC gizmo that allows the playing of your own sound files, but as ever cannot find it again at the moment. When/if I do I think I'll be going down that route (if not too pricy!), but I also need to look at stage lighting, the laser pointer thing and a smoke machine. Finding an appropriate 3D printed band and equipment, and indeed lighting rig, isn't going well though, so far I've only found a brass band and elements of a sort of skiffle band which aren't really what I want. I'm quite enjoying how Mr. Whippy has triggered a whole new modelling direction.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Bigmet wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:32 pm What acts have you booked? Bouch Boys, The Enginemen, Ironhorse, The Rolling Stock, The Six Pistons, Trainosaurus Rex?
You'd be surprised how near to the Glastonbudget (a real festival) that line up is!
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Stage II : First use of Phoenix weathered wood for the planks, added over the over-spray from the grey primer on the scaffolding. Gives a very nice result, I'll be using it on wagons from now on.
DSC01962.resized.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

The frame for the tent, made of slightly over-size hop poles. Aka kebab skewers.
DSC01965.resized.JPG
"Hastings, zere is little point in hiding in the freezer. Just give me, 'Ercule Poirot, a Zoom mon ami."
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Why go to the rouble of digitising, encoding, sending over the bus, decoding and feeding to an amplifier, just to feed a 3" speaker under the stage. Just use a cheapo cd player. Or if there's a PC involved in the system, rip your music to the hard drive then use a player app to build a playlist and feed it out through the built in speaker driver. Most sound cards come with a mixer program that would let you overlay an applause/screams track.
Sorting through the spares draw yesterday I discovered a couple of two colour low powered lasers. They must have been cheap because they were new so I'd obviously bought them on spec. Don't know about you I'd have great fun rigging up the lasers and some flashing LEDs, more fun than crawling round the scaffolding with a couple of screwdrivers and a roll of gaffer tape.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Phred

Post by Phred »

I'll bet Monsieur Poirot's GP moans about his BMI. Doctors are party-poopers. :(
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Phred wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:15 pm I'll bet Monsieur Poirot's GP moans about his BMI. Doctors are party-poopers. :(
He's more worried about having suddenly grown a foot and a half ;-)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I was given a bagful of "cheapo" figures which appear to be H0 scale ones adjusted for 00, - by the simple expedient of stretching their legs. They seem to have worked to a simple formula. Male 26mm female 23mm. They're ok for use in populating passenger stock, just chop 'em off around the hips and glue them to the seats. I also have two lots of Airfix figures, one lot seem to be somewhere between 1/76 and 1/87, and another lot which are far better detailed but appear to be 1/72 scale. I presume the job of producing them went to the Airfix aircraft team, a real shame because they made a super job of them.
Then I acquired an EFE West Bromwich Daimler marked up for the service that I used to get to and from school, I treated it to a Modelu seated bus driver, you wouldn't believe how much I had to file off his backside to get him in the cab.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions