DIY Filing Jigs

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Lurch

DIY Filing Jigs

Post by Lurch »

I see various filing jigs available from several suppliers and clubs but if I want to use different angles and sizes this can get expensive buying half a dozen variations. What did we used to do before these were all available? I was thinking of making a multi angle filing/alignment jig. Simplest option is just filing a few slots in some hardwood. Does it need to be any more complicated than that?
Richard08

Re: DIY Filing Jigs

Post by Richard08 »

I'm not quite sure what you mean here - is this for track or models? I've never heard of a filing jig, so curious!
Lurch

Post by Lurch »

For track. There's examples of filing and assembly jigs in this thread on the Templot forum. https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?t ... inted.226/

I was just after a general idea of what other people use, I'm assuming not everyone that hand builds track uses off the shelf manufactured jigs, or does it all freehand.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi lurch,

I'm far from a perfectionist, but believe in do-it-yourself.
To make decent common crossings you need to draw accurate angles onto a piece of
flat thickish ply wood. Then stick matchsticks to support you rails to fit the required
angle. Soldering when held firmly in place.

Dose it work ? Yes. I have only made a few turnouts and believe I could do much better
with more practice. My reason for building my own track was to get a scissor crossing.
Then as the requirement was for a slightly curved scissor I spent some time drawing what
I needed and using my matchstick jigs made as required.

Like all skills practice is needed, but this way could save you a small fortune.

I file my joint angles free-hand using another thickish piece of ply as a support. Easy to get
sore fingers and no doubt slower, however being retired time is not usually a problem.

Geoff T.
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Lurch wrote:What did we used to do before these were all available? ... Simplest option is just filing a few slots in some hardwood. Does it need to be any more complicated than that?
We filed a few slots in hardwood :-)

No it doesn't need to be more complicated than that, but it can be if you like fiddling about with STL files, which Mattin does. I have made EM gauge pointwork using various confections of hardwood, cardboard and things screwed down with big washers, these days I let Peco do the hard work - life's too short.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Lurch

Post by Lurch »

Thanks guys, at least I'm on the right track! I'm not trying to skimp on the tools but I am going off piste, hand building N gauge track using 2mm components so not got any off the shelf jigs and tools to use.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Ouch lurch !!
'N' gauge ? now that's brave.
The levels of accuracy needed are so much higher. Of course it can be done, but
I for one wouldn't try it. I suppose I will have to admit that my eyes wouldn't be
happy at all.
Are you going to build all track as well as turnouts ?
I'd be curious if you intend to make on the workbench, or directly onto the layout
base boards ?
I'm very interested to understand your plans.

Geoff T.
Lurch

Post by Lurch »

Plan? I always liked the idea of building track and turnouts, I've never owned anything other than N gauge but have worked on other peoples EM layouts and enjoy building track and that and making things look less uniform, like building complex crossings on curves etc. Not ridiculous to build mine using Peco code 55 but I put a spreadsheet together comparing that and 2mm track and turnouts and 2mm looked to be a bit cheaper overall, but then I'd need to re-wheel everything so it gets more expensive again, so I ended up with this idea of building an N gauge layout using 2mm components.

Not that I'm trying to cheap out but if I can do it all without going mental on the budget I can have more track/stock per £, and who doesn't want that.

First job is order some components and build a test track. Planning on building everything, track and turnouts. Starting with simply soldering track to sleepers, not bothering with the chairs as I'm hoping to get the soldering right enough and then paint it so don't think you'll really see the missing detail, certainly had no issues with this in EM so should scale down well as you can see even less missing detail in N! Not sure whether to stick to one turnout radius to make the matter of jigs easier or use various as I have mainline/MPD/carriage & wagon sidings so would need to compromise somewhere. Probably use an A5 and B7 on the test track just to see what they're like to build see if that sways me one way or the other.

Where I build it depends on how I get on with building it, I guess there's pros and cons to both, or may use both methods. I have a plan in AnyRail but will possibly use that as more of a guide, potentially just build it on the baseboard and fit stuff where it all flows to to a degree.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Lurch wrote:... I ended up with this idea of building an N gauge layout using 2mm components.

Not that I'm trying to cheap out but if I can do it all without going mental on the budget I can have more track/stock per £, and who doesn't want that...
With your skill set that's a good approach; as long as you are aware that some RTR N - especially older product - has 'wayward' wheelsets, thus some rewheeling is likely to be necessary unless you can be very selective in your purchases. Of the proposed points I'd standardise on the B7, for appearance alone... All the best with it.
Lurch

Post by Lurch »

Bigmet wrote:as long as you are aware that some RTR N - especially older product - has 'wayward' wheelsets, thus some rewheeling is likely to be necessary unless you can be very selective in your purchases.
Yes, my initial locos are my old early 80's Farish class 33 that I've just stuck new gears on and dropped a coreless motor in (sourced from AliExpress for a couple of $) so that's my test loco in effect. Not against re-wheeling, but will avoid it if possible. Depends how the turnouts look and feel once built with wide enough flangeways etc.
Bigmet wrote:Of the proposed points I'd standardise on the B7, for appearance alone...
Couple of people have said that. Certainly makes it easier for building as all crossings etc are all the same geometry, probably see what it looks like once the baseboards are built and the track plan laid down. Maybe stick to B7 mainline and maybe something slightly more compact in certain sidings. Dunno, we'll see!
Bigmet wrote:All the best with it.
Thanks. Hopefully not going to still be talking about starting the build in a few years and actually have something to show for it soon!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Lurch wrote:...Hopefully not going to still be talking about starting the build in a few years and actually have something to show for it soon!
Ah yes, my problem. I enjoy operating the layout so much that projects to make or modify X. Y and Z are often very protracted. But it means there's always something 'to do'.