Simon Kohler to leave Hornby. Again!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
centenary

Simon Kohler to leave Hornby. Again!

Post by centenary »

This time, it's retirement.
Peterm

Re: Simon Kohler to leave Hornby. Again!

Post by Peterm »

All the best for a long and happy retirement to Simon.
Pete.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Chances of him moving out of the hobby entirely = 0. And before he gets too busy having fun and building his own model railway, get that insider story down on paper perhaps?

Those are big shoes to fill. The energy and charm the man displayed as Hornby's frontman is the least of it.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

He'll certainly be leaving Hornby in a better state than when he came back to it!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
centenary

Post by centenary »

And now (well about a fortnight ago, actually!) Montana Hoeren has announced she is leaving Hornby in August to pursue new career avenues.

Sounds like Hornby have lost something like £7m on the TT:120 fiasco. Last I heard, Hornby were scrambling around the model shops almost begging them to come on board as TT:120 sellers following the short sighted (imho) decision to only sell this direct.

Sorry if you already knew the above, I just saw a vid released last night with this news.
Last edited by centenary on Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Yep. You'd have thought they would have wanted as big a market as possible. Shooting one's self in foot springs to mind.
Pete.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Smacks of 'maximising shareholder value' over 'serving the traditional market' - what you get when you are owned by a Private Equity outfit. Not a huge surprise that TT hasn't done well, but on-line only was not a great idea (as I might have mentioned once or twice at the time).
mrobs2002

Post by mrobs2002 »

centenary wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:11 pm Sounds like Hornby have lost something like £7m on the TT:120 fiasco.
Interesting. Do you have a source for that figure?
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

OMG, Simon used to work as a lad at The Model Shop, Wellingborough Road, Northampton.
Now retired ........... Oh yes I am in my 80's !!

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

mrobs2002 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:19 pm
centenary wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:11 pm Sounds like Hornby have lost something like £7m on the TT:120 fiasco.
Interesting. Do you have a source for that figure?
There maybe something buried in their annual report ('buried' = hidden), but I'm no accountant https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/londo ... t/91396903
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The TT range seemed a bit top heavy to me, it needed something that could be used for a micro layout if it was going to tempt already dedicated modelers the 08 or any 0-6-0 steamer. We all like to say "it's only a simple little shunting plank, to see what it's like." Lyndon Davies seems to have distanced it some time back, he was firmly on the Oxford stand at last years Warley.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

WAIT WAIT WAIT...

Are you meaning to say that this wasn't another huge Hornby Mistake that's directly or indirectly led to further delays in the delivery of the Bl00dy RUSTON 88DS IN NORTH BRITISH DISTILLERY LIVERY????
...Cough Cough............

....oh, Simon, that "Mr. Hornby" bloke I've never met is gone from a company that got rid of him previously but he is likely to still remain working in model railways? .....oh no! Anyways....

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Chuffinell

Post by Chuffinell »

Got the impression in that "Hornby - A Model World" programme that Kohler & the CEO didn't get on that well. Just body language when the CEO appeared briefly on the programme - esp in the one where they were selling stuff from that tent at some event or another - defo some friction there.
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

Alexander Court wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:18 am WAIT WAIT WAIT...

Are you meaning to say that this wasn't another huge Hornby Mistake that's directly or indirectly led to further delays in the delivery of the Bl00dy RUSTON 88DS IN NORTH BRITISH DISTILLERY LIVERY????
...Cough Cough............

....oh, Simon, that "Mr. Hornby" bloke I've never met is gone from a company that got rid of him previously but he is likely to still remain working in model railways? .....oh no! Anyways....
Further to my complaints about the delays of the Ruston, I'd like to add that I am well aware that they are not being produced in the same factory as TT so production capacity hasn't been a reason for delay, there are apparently issues at a Hornby factory which have delayed an 0-4-0 shunter for nearly three years. If I was a company that was having "issues" at a factory, like in this case, I wouldn't be ploughing money into a new factory and a new range in a new scale, I would be focused on sorting out the "issues" at the factory. Wondering if there will be another price increase before the release, however I paid my preorder end of 2021 with the new railway modellers shop so haven't been affected by the price increase.
Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
b308

Post by b308 »

centenary wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:11 pm And now (well about a fortnight ago, actually!) Montana Hoeren has announced she is leaving Hornby in August to pursue new career avenues.

Sounds like Hornby have lost something like £7m on the TT:120 fiasco. Last I heard, Hornby were scrambling around the model shops almost begging them to come on board as TT:120 sellers following the short sighted (imho) decision to only sell this direct.

Sorry if you already knew the above, I just saw a vid released last night with this news.
Love to know where that all came from (and don't say it's in the accounts, it's not and there's no video which says that either). Hornby made a decision at the outset that TT120 was to be done initially via direct sales to establish the scale and many model shop owners, though miffed, also admitted that they wouldn't have stocked it as it represented too much financial risk. It's now established and they've chosen several shops to sell it from, they started with German shops (TT is big over there) and now some UK shops. It was always a long term (think 5 years +) project and we're one year in, so far too early to judge it a success or failure, judging by the demand so far it would seem more a success than failure. :roll:

(Lesson to be learnt, don't believe everything you read/hear on social media!)