Slow, But Progress

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Richard08

Slow, But Progress

Post by Richard08 »

Having been somewhat engaged in making stuff lately the layout kind of got sidelined a bit. As the tube in the lamp over my making things bench expired conveniently over a Bank Holiday weekend I've spent some time generally cleaning up bits and bobs and tweaking this and that around the track. And playing trains. Not over exciting, but here's a couple of photos of the state of play. Looking at adding some slips of plastikard in the bottom of the crossing vees to stop wheels dropping as they pass over. Not a biggie, but another way to occupy the little grey cells. Actual painting & decorating may commence this evening - etch primer to be specific. Should gas the house out nicely :-) New sky is on the cards, it really didn't stick to the wallpaper very well (not guilty) - probably stick it to some cardboard and side it down behind the flora. There seems to be a problem with the 08's front lights (one out, one dim), so having a look at that is on the to-do list too. The hand wheel from the Dogfish still hasn't surfaced, looks like it's gone to that island where biros, coat hangars and single socks go for a break.
DSC01786.resized.JPG
DSC01784.resized.JPG
Mountain

Re: Slow, But Progress

Post by Mountain »

It is looking good.
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

Really nice layout, I'd be really happy with that. I am also impressed with your wall papering above, I would have struggled at that angle :0)
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Buggleskelly wrote:Really nice layout, I'd be really happy with that. I am also impressed with your wall papering above, I would have struggled at that angle :0)
Ha ha, yes... the previous owner was a master of BIY. It's gently peeling off. Thankfully he never discovered Artex. You should see his 'plastering'...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That has a good spacious atmos. about it. Personally I feel your class 08's lights as seen on the photo are decent representations of reality; declining bulb output, dirty glass or reflector, bulb/ reflector misaligned, regularly produced this kind of effect.
Richard08 wrote:... the previous owner was a master of BIY...
Now you have me debating whether that's better or worse than SIY.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Bigmet wrote:That has a good spacious atmos. about it. Personally I feel your class 08's lights as seen on the photo are decent representations of reality; declining bulb output, dirty glass or reflector, bulb/ reflector misaligned, regularly produced this kind of effect.
It's the other end that's the problem, fortunately only two screws to get the body off (well done Dapol). For me, the lights are way too bright - back when playing trains for real (pre engines having 'headlights') marker lights and headcode/ex-headcode lights (and lit tail lamps) were barely visible in daylight - dirty and dim - and not exactly search light beams at night. I'm pleased to see manufacturers are toning them down these days, a few years back you could illuminate the moon with them which was awful. The cab lights, in the 08 and Western at least, seem about right.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Slow ? I wouldn't say so.
You can't be building stock and doing much on the layout, time is not infinite !!
I've been very impressed by the wagon building, athough I worry you're soon
going to run out of space !!

Geoff T
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Dad-1 wrote:... athough I worry you're soon
going to run out of space !!

Geoff T
I have a cunning plan there... well kind of cunning plan. Just a plan really, not cunning at all. The kits I only built because Tuesday go on eBay, out of this batch 2 are keepers and 7 are off (hopefully) to new homes when painted & decorated. That way I get to buy more kits and it takes a lot longer run out of room. Eventually I get all the wagons I want, and have built others that I like but don't need/want on the layout. It's a terrible plan financially, but one old chap was really pleased with his SR brake van so that kind of makes it feel nice and cuddly.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Richard08,

Were it not that it could be misunderstood you could have a cuddle from me.
Some good kits being made there, I couldn't part with mine, well only those
that I've been asked to make for friends. Hence 550+ around the shed, garage, loft !!

Once my excuse was having a large layout, like 50 coal wagons one way needs 50
empties coming back. Now with 9 wagon shunting layouts I have perhaps overkill ?

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Dad-1 wrote:Hence 550+ around the shed, garage, loft !!

Geoff T.
That's..... quite a lot! :-)