1st Radius Curves

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
kebang

1st Radius Curves

Post by kebang »

Tried to post on Dad1's thread but it appears to be locked.
The 2-4-2 L&YR class 5 has bow been tested on a complete oval of 1st deg track (8x1stdeg curves and 2 straights). Despite Bachmann's warning that this is 2nd rad only it ran perfectly well. On mixed track (1st&2nd curves) it slows down a little while negotiating a 1st deg curve, but this was not observed on when running on the all 1st deg. oval.
Bachmann's Mainline 2-6-2 Ivatt (Split Chassis Version) also negotiated 1st. deg oval okay
Bufferstop

Re: 1st Radius Curves

Post by Bufferstop »

He might have been doing a long post at the time. If his computer was in the process of uploading and it was taking a long time, yours might have timed out. The "bible"says it doesn't happen, believe me it does. When we had students doing exams on line we had to
tell them to upload in groups of four when they'd finished otherwise it was a lucky dip as to who got locked out.
tested on a complete oval of 1st deg track (8x1stdeg curves and 2 straights). Despite Bachmann's warning that this is 2nd rad only it ran perfectly well. On mixed track (1st&2nd curves) it slows down a little while negotiating a 1st deg curve, but this was not observed on when running on the all 1st deg. oval.
There's likely to be more sideways thrust on the wheels going from straight to first radius making them move over than the limited pressure of the change from one to two and back.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Re: 1st Radius Curves

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Kebang,

The thread is kept locked to prevent it wandering away from proven facts.
Some people would just post all sorts of other detail & experiences that
were not truly relevant.

Your loco that slows. The slowing caused by drag in a very tight curve wouldn't
be noticeable when all the track is of that curve. When you have run down a
straight it would be slightly faster, then responding to a 'On the limit curve'
slow slightly.

Some of these things show on slow speed, low power workings. On DCC you
can get some back EMF that would compensate

Geoff T