1:76 Ford Prefect 100E 4 door Now Found

Bigmet

Re: 1:76 Ford Prefect 100E 4 door

Post by Bigmet »

Bigglesof266 wrote:Enjoyed that tale. Two tones back in the day. Loved them.
There's one still on the road in Welwyn Garden City, blue and cream with plenty of tinworm garnish. Well, I say still on the road, last sighting was about a month ago, and when some distance away it was heard to emit a loud gear change fart followed by an ominous ''clang'.
Bigglesof266 wrote:...Wasn't sure if the contraction port was also a British colloquialism of the time.
It's a contraction of portmanteau, and I associate this with folks travelling to the UK from English language countries, especially Oz and NZ. Last time I heard it spoken was when a guy on assignment from Oz arrrived in the office and asked 'where he could stow his port'. (We elected to take him to the hotel so he could acclimate to UK conditions on his first day...)
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Was aware of the derivation of "port". Just wasn't sure if it was in common use in the UK at the time 1950s and '60s as it was here or was likely to be misunderstood just as using the word "traveller" in the UK invokes a completely different connotation to as it does in AU and NZ.

Although suitcase, and its contraction case et al were understood and occasionally used interchangably, port was the more common apparently colloquial (?) reference for everything from them in miniature as children's school suitcases fashionable at the time, through travelling suitcases. Very large strapped luggage cases had fallen into disuse as time took us from coastal steamer and rail into the jet age of even early jet airliners carrying around 100 or more pax (B727-100 & a year or so later DC-9) when domestic air travel became increasingly more common albeit with strict luggage piece, weight and size limitations inclusive of a then still quite expensive ticket.

No doubt the Aussies and Kiwis enjoyed the recent arrival pub christening, although unless arriving mid-winter, getting to actually like warm beer definitely takes a period of acclimiatisation. Always loved the variety and quality of UK beers back in the day.
Bufferstop

Re: 1:76 Ford Prefect 100E 4 door Now Found

Post by Bufferstop »

I've found one, a Scale Link resin kit. It will actually be more convenient as I won't have to remove a thick layer of gloss paint. Just have the problem of getting the colour right. Ford called it "Linden Green". Trying to match a colour tile against a fifty something year old memory of a shade of green is almost an impossibility. I seem to remember matching the car itself was a bit of a trial.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bigglesof266 wrote:...Always loved the variety and quality of UK beers back in the day.
Still to be had. From 1971 CAMRA campaigned and encouraged the retention of traditional smaller scale brewing against the onslaught of mass production; and while the situation isn't perfect (public houses are dwindling under cost pressures) a good selection of character beers remain available.