Help! Please salvage my wasted week

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
BobDM

Help! Please salvage my wasted week

Post by BobDM »

I have been trying to plan a layout using the dreadful RailModeller Pro and have managed to identify numerous problems with IT's :x design but without managing to achieve anything regarding my design.

All I want to do is bring 6 parallel tracks (my loco depot) down to 2 in the shortest possible space using Peco Streamine 75 points and Flexitrack.

Can anybody suggest a way of doing this ?
End2end

Re: Help! Please salvage my wasted week

Post by End2end »

"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Use the "real space" system.
Download (from Peco website") and print the layout planning diagrams for the short point (the sleeper bases of codes 75 and 100 are the same. Cut them out along with some straight sections and some curves the equivalent of the short point curvature. Lay them out on the dining table and swap them around until you get the most compact arrangement. For this task the best computer to use is the one between your ears.
If you want the most compact possible, go for a loco yard with tacks buried in the ballast and inset in the shed floor then do the same operations with settrack components (they are code 100). If you want to go shorter still, you can trim around 1cm off the stub end of settrack points, if you work carefully with a razor saw. When you have an arrangement you like, use a roll of draw lining paper, or the back of a roll of wallpaper stick down the pieces or draw around them for a full sized drawing for your MPD.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
kebang

Post by kebang »

This is the best I can draw with Setrack code 100 (as Bufferstops Suggestion)
nrm suggestion 02.png
nrm suggestion 02.png (26.45 KiB) Viewed 899 times
and this is my best suggestion for Code 75
nrm suggestion 01.png
nrm suggestion 01.png (28.59 KiB) Viewed 899 times
I do suggest you download Anyrail, The free trial version allows you to draw plans using up to 50 pieces of track.
kebang

Post by kebang »

If you are up for disguising code 100 track using Peco streamline code 100 points this is the shortest plan I can think of. (The code 100 straight track will be hidden in the engine shed?)
nrm suggestion 03.png
nrm suggestion 03.png (33.3 KiB) Viewed 896 times
SL197 and SL97 have the same footprint, transitioning from code 100 to code 75 may take some judicious dremil use!
kebang

Post by kebang »

nrm suggestion 04.png
yet another variation for Code 75
BobDM

Post by BobDM »

Wonderful! Just what I needed. :D

Thanks very much, Kebang, for taking all this trouble for me. I can now begin to make progress.