Anyone currently buying?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bigmet

Re: Anyone currently buying?

Post by Bigmet »

captrees wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:08 pm
Bigmet wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:12 am Is there any possibility of stripping the H-D metal wheels off the axles and putting plastic wheels on as replacements?
I simply don't know. It would be a good idea...
Just had a look at a few of the metal axled H-D wheelsets I still have kicking around, and it's a 2mm axle diameter. Knock of one wheel, put a plastic one on, all done: but if replacing just one wheel they all have to be same way around on the layout to avoid endless short circuits as the metal wheel will be live to all the bodywork of each vehicle and the metal couplers are conducting... Replacement currentish plastic bogies will be easier.
captrees wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:08 pm
Mountain wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:57 am Or use them on 3-rail track with a 3-rail loco? ...
Good idea. I don't have any 3 rail track, but my new extension will include a third circuit, which in theory could be 3 rail. They are in good condition, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just leave them in their original state.
Sounds simple, but first it depends on what 3 rail track you can purchase. The H-D product is firstly only to be had s/h, and secondly very restrictive in what curve radius is available. There's Marklin's System which offers much more choice and is in current production, and I have seen a three rail layout using Peco flexitrack with their centre contact strip, worked very well with 3 rail locos and offers a choice of whatever radius is required.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Is possible to run both on the same layout (Using the same controller if one has a decent DC controller) by running a central wire soldered on pins just below rail height to act as a central rail. This is then fed via a two way switch to one of the track feeds so current either goes to the central "Rail" or goes to the track rail for 2-rail running. The other rail is then the return rail. If one wires the layout with cab control, one can wire track sections so that 3-rail (Or 2-rail) can be isolated in sidings via the cab control track sections.
DCC can be used in theory with older controllers that have a DC function as the DC function was disscontinued due to the possibility of damage to modern delicate windings. Older more durable motors should in theory be ok. I have never had any issues on any motor but I only ran DC locos on DCC to test them. So in theory, (Though it is up to the individual if one wants to take the risk) there should not be a problem on older more solidly built motor windings, but it is probably best to run the layout using a seperate DC controller for the 3-rail via a double pole 2 way switch so one either has the whole layout under DCC or DC control and remove the 3-rail locos when the DCC is on. (This is the "Safe way" to do it. Under no account should DCC and DC come into contact which is why I msntioned a double pole two way switch as both poles of the switch can isolate the DCC from the DC with the central output pins of the switch heading towards the track feed if this makes sense? (With the secondary "2 or3 rail" two way single pole switch)).
The reason why I mention to have the central wire just below rail level is so one doesnot damage it with track cleaning rubbers. The central wire soldered to pins is raised slightly to rail height to help the 3-rail pickups negotiate pointwork (One has to be more careful cleaning points anyway so as long as the central rail wire does not touch the rails and short (Study a 3-rail point in photos or if one sees one for real study it. I simply drilled a hole and fed the wire under the board and back up again on the other side of the rail that crossed its path at the point).
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Using the address 0 (zero) option available on older DCC systems to run open frame motors, such as found on H-D three rail locos, will work; just as having dentistry performed without local anasthaesia will work. In the model railway case it depends how long you can stand the painful assault on your ears.

I have used my Lenz system to quickly test H-D ringfields on address 0, but I wear a set of heavyweight ear defenders when doing such things.

And care is required that nothing with a good modern motor is exposed to the address 0 output. Tried just once when the DCC system was newly installed, using a very free running mechanism with a Mashima 1833. Result, a cloud of smoke from the ruined motor, the four other DCC fitted locos that were running at the time kept going normally, no short circuit trip occurred on the system. Never did that again.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Just bagged a new OO scale DCC ready Helijan Class 45, Peak D11 with TMC 'value' weathering for £126 including free postage. Bargain. They wanted £10 more for the pristine version which seemed strange.

TMC have a 30%-40% 'sale' on so might be worth having a look if you're on a budget.
Phred

Post by Phred »

My Gower Princess arrived from Rails yesterday and has been put away for my birthday 'surprise'. It took ten days to travel from Sheffield to my home 'downunder' yet it can take up to two weeks to have a parcel delivered to me from within Australia. Go figure.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Only a few wagons, private deal. But I have a raft of spending in prospect, Accurascale mk1 non-corridors, Bach Brush 2 and Thompson full brakes, EFE maroon Newton Chambers car carriers, Ellis Clark Quad Arts, Heljan O2/2, Hornby Black 5 and full Coronation set if they ever offer it in maroon, Rapido J52 (as preserved by Captain Bill just a short bike ride from where I once lived), and anything else useful for KX area 1955 - 62, so I have been saving for some time to deal with the anticipated drainage from railway funds.
Phred wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:03 pm ...It took ten days to travel from Sheffield to my home 'downunder' yet it can take up to two weeks to have a parcel delivered to me from within Australia. Go figure.
You are not alone in this. Royal Mail in the UK has some 'dead zones' for reasons the management are unable to explain fully other than 'there's more profit in moving parcels on time', completely ignoring that the specified service as the basis on which they took the contract requires letter post to function on one to theree working days timescales. Delays of up to a month in letter post causing patients to miss medical and surgical appointments as one of the most serious effects. There's about to be a major kicking match in Parliament, and if there is any justice heads will swiftly be rolling.
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

BCF 01.jpg
BCF 02.jpg

Ever since starting the garden railway my son and myself have always liked the LGB Mallet loco sets with 2 carriages. Unfortunately they were far too expensive for us. I did however manage to get a second hand loco as seen in the picture.

I suppose that I had given up on the idea but in February (2024) I came across a website that was selling new boxed carriages 55cm (about 20 inches) in length and well within my price range. They had very good reviews so I ordered 3 and the total cost compared to the top brands was a lot less than I would have to pay for 1 new one. The quality every bit as good as the top brands with glazed windows and sliding doors.

My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Lancastrian wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:03 pm BCF 01.jpgBCF 02.jpg

Ever since starting the garden railway my son and myself have always liked the LGB Mallet loco sets with 2 carriages. Unfortunately they were far too expensive for us. I did however manage to get a second hand loco as seen in the picture.

I suppose that I had given up on the idea but in February (2024) I came across a website that was selling new boxed carriages 55cm (about 20 inches) in length and well within my price range. They had very good reviews so I ordered 3 and the total cost compared to the top brands was a lot less than I would have to pay for 1 new one. The quality every bit as good as the top brands with glazed windows and sliding doors.

They look lovely. My railway has been buying lately...
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

For the first time since I can remember I recently bought some new stock: a pair of Dapol's new Toplight coaches. Expensive, certainly, but in my view worth every penny.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Lysander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:14 am For the first time since I can remember I recently bought some new stock: a pair of Dapol's new Toplight coaches. Expensive, certainly, but in my view worth every penny.

Tony
Very nice! Tempting to buy a whole rake but I can imagine the price.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Not much recently.
Last week I bought one of those Lima 0-4-0 diesel shunters ,which is still probably the cheapest loco you can buy.
This is going to be a detailing project, and is also going to be used for replacement CD motor testing, the replacement CD motor arrived this afternoon.
Also for the huge sum of 20p, a Hornby R648A bulk grain wagon. This was missing a buffer and wheels and took about 5 minutes to put right.

Ken
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Ken Shabby wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:17 pm Not much recently.
Last week I bought one of those Lima 0-4-0 diesel shunters ,which is still probably the cheapest loco you can buy.
This is going to be a detailing project, and is also going to be used for replacement CD motor testing, the replacement CD motor arrived this afternoon.
Also for the huge sum of 20p, a Hornby R648A bulk grain wagon. This was missing a buffer and wheels and took about 5 minutes to put right.

Ken
Those grain wagons make lovely 7mmNG conversions... Actually so do those locos!

In the RM there is a company that makes Lima motor conversions and I don't think they are the CD type. Ah Found it! Is Peters Spares that sell them!
peterws

Post by peterws »

Thought I'd written this previously, but it's not here.
In last few weeks, I've acquired two Hornby 4-4-0s, great lookers and the K1 2-6-0, which would appear to be a faultless piece of kit. Astounding runner on my feedback controllers. The 4-4-0s too, run well, but not as. Too highly geared but they look great at some speed with those big, lazy wheels effortlessly soaking up the "miles"! And they'll pull 5 coaches well.
Also a Bachmann J39 which too, is lovely.
Plus 3 s/h Pullmans and I'm good to go.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

You've been spending! Sounds lovely!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have been spending more than I expected and am waiting for my next delivery!
Is two lovely locos and a rake of little waggons which will need finishing off. All useful!