Anyone currently buying?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bigmet

Re: Anyone currently buying?

Post by Bigmet »

You know how it is, one's spouse expects you to buy yourself something she can wrap for a Christmas gift. I probably broke all records this year, got my order in for a Hornby P2 Lord President within 5 minutes of the prompting.
That will satisfactorily complete the line up of ECML express steam power development:
Stirling single, Ivatt large atlantic, Gresley A1, Gresley A4, Gresley Bugatti P2, Peppercorn A1.
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

I am currently buying fairground related items and kits. I have stripped my amusement park section down to its baseboard with the exception of the outer railway track for my OO9 rolling stock. I must admit I may be buying motorised fairground kits but my son is building them for me, there is no way I would even attempt to construct them they are far more complex than I thought that they would be. Well done Chris.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

To go back to the original posts question.... the answer will be well yes... otherwise why make them?

Of course they (The manufactures) will make less as demand is lower... I think you can guess what happens... yes the price goes up.
For me I decide if it's worth waiting after X amount of weeks the price will decrease that's the way the agreement works.... of they aren't that popular then yes you can save another 10%.

Or if you are willing to play the game and wait it out... then you can get it cheaper... but you have to know when its right to order and when not too.

So lets say...
Bachmann Ransom rapier crane... V Hornbys hush hush.
Two flagship models both over £200...

Which will sell first... well the Hush Hush...
The Crane some are still around now with 50% off... just to get rid of them.

Also our buying habits have changed as the prices increase... so instead of buying a model every other month maybe you are buying that one big purchase per year?

This year P2 for me... KR's Leader... possibly end or early next... although dreading what the hell will arrive..

I have others on order but the lead time on one... is quite long so I'm not worried the other is a small tank from Dapol just over £100... and the Metropolitan E which I have a deposit on.. again sometime next year.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- NEW Website: http://bluebell-model-railway.my-free.website/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

I bought a packet of Peco N gauge coal wagon loads for £2 listed on Hatton's in their newly listed but given the packet literally had the sticker on it with the barcode and the name of the person who preowned it or processed it and the date of that stuck on the packet I suspect it has been owned before, however the packet appears sealed so I don't mind either way xD

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
inoffapost

Post by inoffapost »

My German supplier Modellbahn Union have been running an 'Halloween' campaign with reduced prices on some items. I ordered a 3 wagon set of the Hornby OO MHA 2 axle spoil wagons, new, at 50 quid. They came today. I was surprised how charming they actually are! Excellent detail and lightly weathered in EWS livery. With a sample load or even load residue they will look good. I am pairing them with some pre-owned Seacows that are ordered from Hattons, all ready for my pre-ordered Accurascale 'Dutch' livery Class 37 which should arrive 1st quarter 2024.
So yes....still buying!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I should be selling ..........

Anyone after 10 boxes of SMP NS track ?

I might get the odd wagon kit for the dark evenings - Ouch, starting this weekend, I feel winter's here..

Geoff T.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Since I last posted here,
Yet another Lima Class 47 , this one is rail blue with the domino style marker lights

Hornby eighties era era BR black Jinty, Sold cheap as a non runner, It took 5 minutes to get it running nicely

Hornby Campbell's soup curtain side van. I think it's back out this year. This one had those horrible white wall wheels, which were swiftly dealt with.

Ken
sparkhill

Post by sparkhill »

I have been buying a lot of locos and rolling stock but all second hand from a dealer here in Brisbane Australia, no way will I ever buy brand new as the prices are insane, for example the Hornby Flying Scotsman set was $329 a year ago, now its $569, the only thing I buy new from now on is track and building supplies.

Dave.
Regards
Nobby
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Oh dear yes. Rapido J52/2 as preserved by 'The Captain'. It was kept only a short bike ride from my home at the time.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

sparkhill wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:25 pm I have been buying a lot of locos and rolling stock but all second hand from a dealer here in Brisbane Australia, no way will I ever buy brand new as the prices are insane, for example the Hornby Flying Scotsman set was $329 a year ago, now its $569, the only thing I buy new from now on is track and building supplies.
Not that I'd be a set buyer today, but this gives a good picture of the current crazy average pricing in Australia.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Hattons have a black Friday sale on with substantial reductions on many items.

Example, FGW HST brand new, £196 https://www.hattons.co.uk/880944/hornby ... tockdetail

If only it had been Rail Charter Services version!
Last edited by centenary on Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Anyone Buying ? Mmmm I hope so as I must reduce my 'Shed'.
Just realised that I have 3 x 9F's, Why ? well it sort of happens, doesn't it.

I'd buy a 'Gower Princess' Ruston, but only if I see a new one at under £80.
I have 2 Ruston's already, which should be enough. Then why 3 x 9F's ?????

Do some Kadees count ?

Geoff T.

Post by 4472 »

Tempted by this direct from Hornby
R30087 LNER, A3 Class, No. 45 'Lemberg' (diecast footplate and flickering firebox) - Era 3
at 149.99. Less than half price but need to get it past SWMBO first !!
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

No!
I stopped spending on many larger MR items currently, all due to their silly prices!
As an OAP I only have a limited MR budget which seem to be exceeded by many items sold new. :o
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
captrees

Post by captrees »

Oh dear. Yes. Sometimes temptation gets in the way. And what is all this Black Friday nonsense. Black Friday is Friday 13th. No more, no less. Except when shopping takes precedence. (sigh)

OK. I bought one of these. New. I hate myself. How could I spend that much? ("What do you want for Christmas," she said. Sold!)

I am going diesel, a little, at last. It's 1962 on the East Westmorland Railway. I have been in denial that diesels existed then, but the EWR is in an expansion planning period, and I want to play with diesels to renew my flagging interest. And I haven't bought a new loco for 3 or 4 years. When they were half the price. (Expletive deleted.)

The model 37 with sound is in incredible $600. Even in our banana republican economy, that is 300 quid. (My 'puter doesn't do quid signs. We have $s here now in the antipodes.) The model with no sound attached was an impressive 75% of that price. And in the Black Friday sale it was 15% off that. Even on a Monday. And then I asked the Ministry of Finance and Cooking. "Buy it if you must," she said.

Its in the mail.