Queen Mary Brake Van 2.0

What are you up to on your workbench
Richard08

Re: Queen Mary Brake Van 2.0

Post by Richard08 »

So these are the mystery parts... you can probably see why I was a bit confused about where they go, somewhat over size.
DSC01724.resized.JPG
After a deal of staring and looking at photos (seemingly all of which bar one show the air pipe side hiding these corners) I found a somewhat distant shot that confirmed where they should go. As can be seen, after folding the end rivets would miss the buffer beam. So I snaped the part along the fold line and fitted to two halves, suitably filed, so the rivets would be 'right'. It seems to make sense and looks ok.

In a simliar vein, the steps had no supports supplied to fix the step top flush with top surface of the buttom of the sole bar, so some left over etch got pressed into service. No biggie, but could lead to mistakes. Next is the sander boxes...
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Right, with that sorted it was on to the sand boxes. This all went to plan - almost. I added some extra rivets to the bottom of the side pieces as their absence was a bit apparent. I aslo added a brass strip accross the back of the box at the top, as the gap is visiable (at least without the roof) and shoudl't be there. I need to revisit the other end and add this. Anyhow, they are on and a good clean up on the cards.
DSC01735.resized.JPG
DSC01732.resized.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Next : Fit handrals and lamp brackets as shown in the sketch. No dimensions or such, no location marks or holes. Ok, out with the photos and some plank and rivet counting. How to fit the handrails. Traditionally they go in holes, soldering to the surface without a location hole would, I think, leave them very vulnerable. Normally I'd punch a small hole to start the drill, but hitting the side of a part built wagon doesn't seem like a plan. So.. (eventually) out with... the ever useful heedle file point. I gave it a spin with a bit of pressure, avoidng stabbing my fingers, and got enough of a hole to start the drill. I put the bit right up in the chuck to stop it flexing and snapping, well so far anyway. The Lidl drill has proved an amazing tool, from a masonary bit drilling brick to a 0.5mm bit at any speed you like. I drilled about halfway through the brass so the handrail has a solid mechanical location and then just a touch of solder. I'm mildly surprised this worked. Only three more corners to go...
DSC01736.resized.JPG
Phred

Post by Phred »

Richard08 wrote:
I'm mildly surprised this worked.
:lol:
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

The handrails are done! Praise the lord and pass the gin.
DSC01739.resized.JPG
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Richard08,

Regardless of the difficulties this is coming along well
Most impressed.

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

When cleaning up the buffer beam overlays I'd got a little too enthusiastic. So I filed away a bit more to allow some space, so later (as in now) I could superglue some plasticard to it and then, with my Special Occasions Actually Sharp knife, cut away the excess and file to suit. A couple of years back I'd have just given up. I guess that's progress ;-) A bit of filler and, hopefully, magic will occur.
DSC01740.resized.JPG
Next, it's buffers and couplings time.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Richard,

I have some aircraft models that are almost as much filler
as there is plastic !! A good standard of paint covers a lot !!

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

So, useless photo aside, the buffers and couplings are fitted. I do like the brass buffer housings - shiney I guess... I superglued the buffers to the beams, so that they will fall off rather than bend the beam in the event of accidents. Opening out the tiny buffer holes in the beams to a size that the buffers actually needed was an endless task as drilling was out due to the risk of a snatch wrecking everything. Another lesson learned.
DSC01742.resized.JPG
And so to the bogies. I messed up big time here, deciding to assemble the supplied independent kits before starting the body just to get less bits knocking around was not a great Plan. However, I might have inadvertently done the right thing. The white meatal bogie sides are supposed to overlay the bogie sides, but are a different wheelbase (photo). Yeh. The current plan is to investigate how the sides relate to the castings, and likely cut up the brass to make it fit into the existing bogies and discard the rest. Obviously the pivot arrangements need looking at too. What fun!
DSC01741.resized.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Well the pivot issue turned out to be a non issue happily. I'd feared the ride height would be too high with the original crossmembers, but in fact they are a little low - which is good as washers are needed to get free movement and they will set the height right. Phew! (I think).
DSC01744.resized.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

The inside faces of the bogie castings have substatial lumps and bumps that would need to be removed to fit them to the brass bogie chassis as intended. So.... I'm going to copy the Connoisseur bogies using bits and bobs. There's no inner brake shoes with the kit either. Or maybe ordering the Connoisseur bogies (available separately) might be a better way to go. Mighty glad I didn't pay anything like full price for this 'kit'....
DSC01746.resized.highlight.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

In the end I binned the etched bogie frame and used the side spring things from the bogie kit on it's/their own. The steps are supplied as brass castings, but there's no room with the wheels in to solder so I've had to superglue them. When dry I'll add some expoxy - don't know if that will work but worth a go. There's a tie bar between the W irons (not supplied) which is rather thin in the pics. After some staring and pondering ordering something I reaised I had just the thing - point rodding! Also makes great rain strips above wagon doors. So, apart from inner brake shoes (a googling we go) the bogies are done and seem to have survived their ordeal in good humour. Unlike me. Partly due to the bogies, but partly I've just spotted something coming over the horizon... See the next (proably) exciting (unlikely) installment.
DSC01748.resized.JPG
Notice I installed the auto-levitation module.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Richard08 wrote:
I do like the brass buffer housings
That was the first thing that caught my eye. I like the detailed coupling as well.
Richard08 wrote:
Notice I installed the auto-levitation module.
You should patent that! :lol:
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

So, that dark cloud of the horizon? The roof. One of the stand-out features of a QM brake van is the valance on the roof ends. There's nothing in the kit, or any help in the instructions. Soooo, how to make something. After some pondering I ended up drawing round the roof profile using the body of the pen to offset the line to get the 2mm depth required.It actually worked!
DSC01749.resized.JPG
The sides also have a valance that slopes into the van sides, also not included. For these I tried cutting plastikard, but it has to be very straight not to look awful. So I've ordered some 2mm brass strip to do these. Plus a lot easier to fix.

Next was the brake gear. Fitted as per instructions, but then the little grey cells started clamouring for attention. Sure enough, after checking the photos, and under the Connoisseur version, they should both be on the same side. So that'll have to be fixed. The cranks going from the vac cylinders to cross rod - not included. Found some in the bits & bobs box.
DSC01750.resized.JPG
Meanwhile, as per instructions, the bogies got fitted. Well, ish. Using the white metal cross members meant that the wheels were well inside the sole bars - i.e. hitting them when turning. So I tried a spring which set the height right, but left the poor thing going along wobbling from side to side like an old western film inside a train scene. Unfortunately the supplied screw isn't long enough to allow spacers to correct this. So more pondering and a Plan. I don't like screw head being visible in the vestibules and while pondering had an idea to do a three-birds-one-stone thing. Using the discarded brass bogie frames I can cut down the sides, adjust the folds to xx' to get the width and get a carrier with room to solder a longer screw into that, below the floor. The pic kind of give the idea.
DSC01751.resized.JPG
After all this gets sorted, the pipe that runs down one sole bar looms - no parts, no suggestions.Ho hum.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Well, the plan worked out. The ride height is bob on, the bogies can turn and it is no longer a rock 'n roller (but still likes their early stuff). Now to sort out the brake gear and make some extra brake hangars.
DSC01753.resized.JPG
DSC01754.resized.JPG