Hello from Norfolk

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Stav98

Hello from Norfolk

Post by Stav98 »

Good morning.

A quick "hello" from misty Norfolk and a little background. I've never been a railway modeller although enjoyed my Mighty Mallard trainset when I was nipper back in the '80's. I've been contemplating "something" for a decade or more but work, kids, finances and life in general seems to have always got in the way. A recent trip to my mum's this week saw me back in possession of my old 6' x 3' board which has been cleaned and provided a few hours of entertainment for my 10 y/o daughter and I.

My late dad was also a wannabe modeller but struggled to find time bringing up two kids on his own; he then left us before his time. I remembered we bought some boxes marked "railway stuff" when we moved to the east coast 5 years ago so thought I'd go for a rummage. I'm pleased I did as it seems I've a jolly good stash of track, scenic stuff, battered locos, coaches and wagons.

I'm lucky enough to have half a double garage (maybe 2/3's if I act before the wife notices), so the 10 y/o and I have decided to build a reasonably simple layout with what we have. Well, that's once we've had a bit of a clear out.

I've just grabbed a license for AnyRail so will be tinkering with that later to see what we can get away with. Whatever it is will largely be driven by what we already have available to us in terms of track. It'll remain analogue for now as again, that's what we have. We'll see how that all goes before I contemplate investing in anything more fancy.

I'll share some photos of the hoard once I've found somewhere to host them :)

:D
glencairn

Re: Hello from Norfolk

Post by glencairn »

Welcome on board, Stav98. A good crew here.
Good to read that the younger generation want to join in.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Stav98 wrote:Good morning.

I'll share some photos of the hoard once I've found somewhere to host them :)

:D
Good morning. The idea of building a layout from just what's to hand is quite appealing, a fun challenge. You can upload photos here, up to five per post. There is a restriction though, which is given as no bugger than xxMb, but in fact pixel size matters too - i convert to 800x600 which works. Looking forward to seeing what happens and what goodies are in the box :-)
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Welcome aboard Stav98,

I also had to wait, in my case until the children had left home !!
Garages perhaps not the best environment, I know because I have
my 6' x 3' oval in mine - It's the cold that sends me back indoors !!

Geoff T.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Welcome to the forum Stav98. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

Welcome aboard, looking forward to following your progress.

Keeping it simple is definitely the way to start. You can always go bigger and more complex once you have acquired some basic skills.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Stav98 wrote:... the 10 y/o and I have decided to build a reasonably simple layout with what we have...
That's such a great move. My youngest sister at much the same age, fifty years ago, was asked by my recently late Pa what practical project she would like to do with him, as he had previously done with us older three. By a happy chance he had recently received an SWB Landy from a friend who was working overseas for a three year assignment (which became seven!) to use, and if possible, fully overhaul. You can guess what sis asked for, and it dominated what she had to say about Pa over this past week, as we met for his funeral. (She has her own SWB Landy now, up on Bodmin Moor, and you will never guess who it is named after.)