Class 90 Pantograph Problem

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
WhetstoneBridge

Class 90 Pantograph Problem

Post by WhetstoneBridge »

Hello,

I’ve got a new Class 90 but I can’t get the servo operated pantograph to work. I installed the special Class 90 decoder, put it on the track to programme it, the pantograph went up and down without touching a function button. Now it (the servo?) grinds constantly but doesn’t move the pantograph whenever the track power is on. I’ve only put the track power on briefly just in case it damages the servo.

Any suggestions before I send it back?

Thanks
Bigmet

Re: Class 90 Pantograph Problem

Post by Bigmet »

Welcome aboard.

Hopefully you have a programme track facility on your DCC system. Put the loco on this and perform a decoder reset (look in the decoder manual to find the input to enter on CV8 for this decoder. That will return the decoder to factory default settings, including address 03, if the decoder is correctly installed.

Then before attempting to operate the pantograph check for any visible obstruction to its action. (That you can hear the servo running is potentially good news, it is getting power.)

If the decoder is not correctly installed you will get a fault reading, check your DCC system documentation if this occurs as it should help you understand what the problem is, as a guide to correction. And then having made the indicated correction repeat the reset.

Ultimately if you cannot make progress it is a return to retailer job.
WhetstoneBridge

Post by WhetstoneBridge »

Thanks. I’ve just done what you suggested but it hasn’t solved the problem. I’m not getting error messages so it could well be a mechanical issue. Probably best to send it back.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

WhetstoneBridge wrote:Thanks. I’ve just done what you suggested but it hasn’t solved the problem. I’m not getting error messages so it could well be a mechanical issue. Probably best to send it back.
I just googled this issue, just out of interest. It doesn't appear to be a known problem, in fact the only reference I found was to a retailers warning that Bachmann will not entertain warranty claims on the pantograph servo if the wrong decoder is fitted. That would make it a deffo return for me, making it very clear the right chip is fitted.
centenary

Post by centenary »

WhetstoneBridge wrote:Hello,

I’ve got a new Class 90 but I can’t get the servo operated pantograph to work. I installed the special Class 90 decoder, put it on the track to programme it, the pantograph went up and down without touching a function button. Now it (the servo?) grinds constantly but doesn’t move the pantograph whenever the track power is on. I’ve only put the track power on briefly just in case it damages the servo.

Any suggestions before I send it back?

Thanks
Out of interest, did you unhook the pantograph from the locked down position before using DCC control to raise it? If not, you may have damaged the servo \ gearing.