Telmanor Halt

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
barney121e

Telmanor Halt

Post by barney121e »

After all my layout planning trials and nightmares i have finally settled on one. It is very simple but having sat and watched trains go around it for 30 minutes with no scenery etc, i actually enjoyed it and this is what i am after.

The plan is a simple double track, with fiddle yard at back and a loco shed at front. Although it is set up for DC, i will be able to run it as DCC with just a couple of connection changes, but still to do this with the wiring. See pic below.
bed5.jpg
Even with finalising things i hit a problem with tunnels as nearly all are too narrow for setrack but have one or two solutions that i am currently testing. Will keep you informed every now and again with how things progress.
Last edited by barney121e on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofty

Re: Watching trains go by - Name to follow

Post by Lofty »

There’s something very therapeutic about siting there just watching trains.

One of the simplest layouts on this site is St Oval by Dad-1, but I never get tired of watching a long freight train slowly winding it’s way around.
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
Phred

Post by Phred »

The station on my layout has a man sitting on a bench on the platform. I had the trains trundling around to amuse the grandchildren and they had been watching for while when one of the girls (then aged four) said: 'Aaaw! That man's been sitting there for ages and the train never stops!'

I stopped the train on the next 'go round' but the man didn't get up. Must have gone to sleep.
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

Have been a little quiet but have decided to build some buildings which i think will be of great help going forward. Both are Metcalfe kits, the church is a little on the large side but think i can make it work. I also got one part of the castle and will use it as a Hotel or Manor House. Have also given a service to all my locos, one or two need work, but most have reacted well and running better.
church.jpg
castle.jpg
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

barney121e,

You need an name !! It helps plant the layout.

How about Watchet Castle as a name
Watching trains go by the castle ??
I'm full of silly names, made a lifetime from it.

Geoff T.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

the church is a little on the large side
I wouldn’t worry about that, I think a common mistake lots of us make is having scenery items that are too small.
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Dad-1 wrote:You need an name !! It helps plant the layout.
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/vis ... rd-castle/ :?:
:D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
barney121e

Re: Watching trains go by - Telmanor Halt

Post by barney121e »

Dad-1 wrote:barney121e,

You need an name !! It helps plant the layout.

How about Watchet Castle as a name
Watching trains go by the castle ??
I'm full of silly names, made a lifetime from it.

Geoff T.
I just cant seem to come up with a name at the moment, mental block or something. I'm hoping it will suddenly hit me. Possibly Telmanor Halt might work , in honour of my late dad.

Have spent the last couple of days trying to get a hornby black 5 to work. Started in December but just wouldn't work but after giving the tender motor a good bit of tlc, and then working on the loco and fitting some new wheel bushes it has come back to life. Even got the wheel couplings working, so that is a bonus.
Bigglesof266

Re: Watching trains go by - Telmanor Halt

Post by Bigglesof266 »

barney121e wrote:I just cant seem to come up with a name at the moment, mental block or something. I'm hoping it will suddenly hit me. Possibly Telmanor Halt might work , in honour of my late dad.
Don't sweat it. It'll come to you. Unless you are making up and attaching printed station boards etc to the buildings and hoardings, what does it matter? You can otherwise change it in your imagination any time.

e.g. Blytonwold Halt for me. Wills SS27 Station Halt with waiting room kit the perfect fit.
Phred

Re: Telmanor Halt

Post by Phred »

As a name, I keep thinking 'Churchcastle Circuit' for some reason, but that's just me.

Looking forward to seeing this progress. :)
barney121e

Re: Telmanor Halt

Post by barney121e »

So progress is a little slow but have been working my way through a box of non running locos, which most i have been able to get going. Last few days i have sorted the tunnel entrances for the back of the layout and below are some pics of progress.
track2.jpg
track3.jpg
track4.jpg
track1.jpg