Article - Coupling

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
End2end

Re: Article - Coupling

Post by End2end »

Mountain wrote:I'd like to show a PIC of a page relating to diagrams of the couplings but not sure if copywrite rules apply.
Not sure about the printed word but if it was music then 2018 is when the copywrite runs out.

Back on topic, "never say never" seems to be a good idea to keep in my head depending how running is once all the track is laid (I've already completed things I never thought I'd do or make) but thinking of changing a whole fleet right now, I really don't have the budget at the moment. I need some much more important things first. I really want to get the baseboards fitted together but need some supplies...and the cash to pay for them.
For now the BK method and hand of god / magnet on a stick suffices. Once I have added the hidden sidings that could all change though.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Re: Article - Coupling

Post by Mountain »

You could make your own couplings without too much cost or difficulty. One of the main aspects preventing this tends to be the fear that once tension lock couplings are removed, the items of stock lose any resale value.
The ideal coupling will be both "Hidden" and operate automatically. These two aspects dont always go together, and if they do, the risk of reliability issues or durability issues mean that a compromise needs to be made.
I do know tough, a cheap and easy coupling method can be made.
Also, dont be too concerned about the hand of god method as it is very prototypical. The real railways do it daily!