A lurker flushed out...

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Phred

A lurker flushed out...

Post by Phred »

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for years now and have gained an enormous amount of useful information. Thanks for that!
The recent comments in the 'Is this site in decline' thread have finally shamed me into coming out into the light. I would hate to see this place fade away as I visit almost every day for a good read and a chuckle with my mid-morning coffee.

I migrated from the UK to Australia in 1969 so my layout buildings are an odd mix of things I remember from GB and old timber Australian styles.

My main interest is trying to create trackside infrastructure without buying anything (or as little as possible). I can buy the good stuff, but I like the challenge of working with scraps. I'll try to post some pictures as soon as I can work out how. Third party hosting sites do my head in.

Phred :)
GeraldH

Re: A lurker flushed out...

Post by GeraldH »

Great to have you posting and looking forward to seeing the results of your working from scraps. I use a lot of cast-offs in my modelling and it can help make the budget go little further as well as being very rewarding.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Pleased you came out of the shadows Phred,

I like the idea if using as much 'scrap' stuff as you can.
We all have our little favourite corners, mine has been
scenery, and best in small doses like the second thread
link in my signature line.

Geoff T.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Welcome on board, Phred.
Show us what you have been making, then we can 'pinch' some ideas. :D

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Phred wrote:Hi all,
Hi Phred. And how you must bask in the glow of having your own phread "A lurker flushed out..."

1956, me (Eng--->Aus).
I treasure a box of scraps that could well be useful if only they were 72 times the size, or glued to something else, or painted silver or ...
Cheers, Chris
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

Welcome aboard, enjoy the journey.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'll try and start a thread or two when I can get a break between my other hobbies (aquariums, the garden, my wife, my grandkids, blardy blar).
having your own phread
:lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Instant thought, 'my' plumber Norbert must have changed his mind on having a model railway. His stock conversation piece revolves around "flushed out a lurker"...
Phred wrote: my other hobbies, aquariums...
No one has done an undersea tunnel model railway beneath real water, with fishes, sea floor detritus TTBOMK. :wink:
Phred

Post by Phred »

Hi Bigmet,

I'm not sure if Norbert is referring to a cure for constipation? An undersea tunnel does sound intriguing but the minister for development, expansion and finance may not approve it. She has already bullied me into one corner of the hobby room to make space for her sewing paraphernalia. :cry: Sam on YouTube demonstrated that underwater trains are a real thing though!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Phred wrote:...I'm not sure if Norbert is referring to a cure for constipation?...
Well sort of ... he's a domestic plumber, and it's blockages in customer's WC waste pipes he's clearing and refering to . It was the coincidence in your expression 'lurker flushed out'. Just my coprotic sense of humour, don't be offended.
captrees

Post by captrees »

Phred wrote:Hi all,

I migrated from the UK to Australia in 1969 so my layout buildings are an odd mix of things I remember from GB and old timber Australian styles.
I can relate to this. (Me 1974) I have a strong urge to run the Indian Pacific through the north of England, and my grandson thinks there should be kangaroos there.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Just my coprotic sense of humour, don't be offended.

:lol: I'm pretty hard to offend, Bigmet! I knew what you meant, I was just being silly. :D

my grandson thinks there should be kangaroos there

My layout is a weird hodgepodge of stuff but no-one seems to think it strange that an Ivatt is working alongside a class 66 Shed or whatever. The grandkids don't care so long as Thomas makes an appearance. My sister-in-law insists that a Southern Cross windmill is needed at the back of the roundhouse!
Phred

Post by Phred »

@ Bigmet and captrees: Sorry, forgot to hit the 'Quote' button on my last post.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

captrees wrote:...I have a strong urge to run the Indian Pacific through the north of England, and my grandson thinks there should be kangaroos there.
The latter no problem. Wallaby appear to be pretty able escape artists and will live covertly in any suitable habitat, which is one that supports wild herbivores, and deer are 'all over' the UK. The London Zoo's country site at Dunstable has seeded a fair colony of Wallaby in Bedfordshire, and there are bound to be more.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

captrees wrote:
I can relate to this. (Me 1974) I have a strong urge to run the Indian Pacific through the north of England, and my grandson thinks there should be kangaroos there.
Wallabies (near enough ;-) ) used to live wild in the Peak District until quite recently, so ....