GWR 12t Plywood Vans

What are you up to on your workbench
Richard08

Re: GWR 12t Plywood Vans

Post by Richard08 »

The banana vans are indeed of similar construction, which makes life easier. The compensating plate is at the right height for these, so that palaver didn't have to be gone through. The vac tank hangs in the air somewhat, but there was just enough access to get the iron in to solder it in position which should be sufficient to fix it securely. After an agony of indecision I've gone with 3-hole wheels rather than spoked as it'll be in BR livery. Some that survived in departmental use retained spoked wheels (it seems), but photos of these in BR revenue livery are scarce, so I'm just assuming 3-holes would get fitted to those in regular use.These were steam heated when built, but I can't find out how long that lasted so I'm probably going to go with no steam heat pipes - not least as the position of the steam pipe would make coupling somewhat awkward.
Attachments
DSC01667.resized.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Sometimes castings don't go all that well. I can sort these out, but alas rather than two different handbrake levers I got two the same - one is going to need some modding at the pivot end.
DSC01668.resized.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

And the first banana van is done - bar the roof which is in the airing cupboard being formed. Photos of these in BR days are rare beasties so there's a certain amount of assumptions I've made - like I found a passing reference to vents on the end beings removed at some point, but no idea when. Equally the steam heating, or indeed how long they lasted at all (built 1929) - but the instructions do give BR livery so at least that bit should be ok. The castings for the door latches are works of art! Vac pipes and load clips to be fitted when I make/get them. Though looking similar to the plywood vans, construction is somewhat different - keeps things interesting. One more banana van to do then on to my latest find...
DSC01670.resized.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Having messed up with the banana van roofs I resorted to slightly thicker plasticard, which got rid of the roofs inclination to buckle in the middle with pressure applied for sticking purposes. So thought I'd give epoxy a go as some tape can hold everything overnight.
DSC01675.resized.JPG
That should do the trick, right? Sadly it seems I have cornered the market in non-stick epoxy.... god help anyone who's used this stuff to fix anything safety related.
DSC01678.resized.JPG
Phred

Post by Phred »

Well that's disappointing. I'd have thought epoxy would have hung on. Would Milliput work? That stuff sticks to anything.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Phred wrote:Well that's disappointing. I'd have thought epoxy would have hung on. Would Milliput work? That stuff sticks to anything.
I'm hoping its Cheaprand epoxy being no good, I've extracted some old branded stuff from the depths of the tool 'box' to have a go with. If that fails, the gel superglue I used the last of on the plywood vans worked ok if I can find some more.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Back to these to get ready for painting - basically deciding what era it's going to exist in. For the to two ply vans it's going to be near end of days, early 80s so 'standard' (as in not high level as originally fitted) vacuum pipes are needed, as are lamp brackets. Cast pipes would be a lot easier, but are scarily expensive so I've gone with MMP/D J Parkins "BR Wagon Coupling & Vacuum Pipe Set" which is very nice (though I'm going to end up with a lot of 'spare' couplings which is a bit of a waste). This first wagon has a no-so-good buffer beam casting, so I've fixed where it can go (not too bad) and will tidy it up during the final pre-paint process - i.e. going round with filler where needed (Milliput). The kit looks like a nightmare (springs are springy), but in fact assembling it and then fixing works much better that trying to do it on the wagon, so to speak.
DSC01768.resized.JPG
DSC01770.resized.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Finally - paint! Early BR bauxite on the Banana vans, later bauxite on the plywood vans. Primer on the Gloucester wagon, still trying to decide exactly what grey it should be - not sure what 'mid grey' is these days, I'm sure it used to be a specific Humbrol colour. Anyhow, visible progress...
DSC01793.resized.JPG
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Finally they all got a complete coat or two of paint. Obviously transfers (on order) to apply, and vac pipes, brake handles and so on to be picked out. My aim is " well used but not falling to bits". The ply vans will be late 70s/early 80s, the banana vans mid 60s. Fairly happy with my first attempt at weathering vans.
DSC01839.resized.JPG
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I am suitably impressed Richard.

Geoff T.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Very professional work. 8)
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Thanks folks! All done now bar a little distressing of the transfers. Wagons roll :-)
DSC01847.resized.JPG
DSC01844.resized.JPG
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Richard08,

Very nice, I have an awful memory but is it the solid feel of
brass, or more that you have searched out some real bargains
rather than not liking plastic i.e Parkside stuff.
These made me look at my only 7 mm 12 ton van, couldn't recall
if I'd weathered or not !! Yes I had done, although my wooden open
hasn't been weathered and looking at them made me add my open's
load - been waiting a few years to do that !!

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Richard08,

is it the solid feel of brass, or more that you have searched out some real bargains
rather than not liking plastic i.e Parkside stuff.

Geoff T.
I like 'engineering' feel of working with brass/white metal. Doing all the bends, punching rivets, making things fit nicely, soldering and so on is often immensely frustrating but the feeling of accomplishment when I end up with something akin to the picture on the box is immense. I've built Parkside kits and they are just dandy, but the buzz isn't the same. If you just want to populate your layout Parkside is the way to go. I think it's a form of masochism, or penance for all the Airfix kits I butchered back in the days of yore. Perhaps my real hobby is making things. That happen to be trains. Certainly the layout isn't the focus of my endeavours, that gets attention when I'm waiting for paint to dry. Or looking to avoid doing said painting in the first place. I'm always looking for bargains - there's no way I could afford it buying new too often.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

And finally they are done after a lot of faffing, learning curves, curves in general and the odd bit of Language. Driver "Glasses" McGee is at last satisfied there exists a train of sufficient size to be worthy of his big engine.
DSC01858.resized.JPG
[The wiring was dead neat until a fault-finding exercise. Honest.]

As so the epistle of the vans ends with joyous trumpets.