Peco sl-E99 frog polarity problems

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Mark19

Peco sl-E99 frog polarity problems

Post by Mark19 »

Hi

I am using the above point on the run into so sidings the point is combined with tortoise switch motor with frog lead on pin 5, I can seem to get 2 polarity working but there is always one left causing a short I have tried many different connections I am about ready to through it in the bin.

If any one has any ideas it would be really helpful

Thanks
Mark
Bufferstop

Re: Peco sl-E99 frog polarity problems

Post by Bufferstop »

Is the point installed on an oval. If so you will have a "backfeed" to the straight through route. It will need an insulated rail joiner on the end of the V or at least somewhere between the point and the power feed.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mark19

Post by Mark19 »

Hi thanks for your reply although I am not sure what you mean, I now have one route not working and that the middle one I have enclosed the diagram and yes it is a 8*4 oval

thanks
Mark
peco_3-way_electrofrog.jpg
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Looking at how I finally wired mine I think you'll find that the purple{pink) needs to switch between green and and blue not red and blue. It makes sense as the second frog is dependent on the setting of the first. Mine are manually operated and the micro switches are let into the surface and operated by spurs sticking out from the push rods and covered by a flap of grass mat.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Dave at MegaPointsControllers did a vid on these 3 way points. This should help.

https://youtu.be/3kiDEFy7urE

Page 7 of his documentation may help as well? https://megapointscontrollers.co.uk/wp- ... cba1185463
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

On most three way points its not possible to have both motors facing the same direction, as there just normally isn't room under the point to allow this. Assuming you have the front motor one way around and the other motor is 180 degrees around to the first one. Then you will need to correct the wiring to the change-over contacts to allow for this. There are also two styles of Electrofrog 3 way. One has two frog wires while the other has three frog wires, The three wire version has the two front most frog wires connected together and these go to the front motors switching common terminal/tab.

Using the drawings linked below and scrolling down to the appropriate frog switching drawing, depending on whether your 3 way point has two or three frog wires use the appropriate drawing which are for 3 way point frog switching via Seep PMx motors, so replace tabs D, E & F with F = 4. D and E are 2 & 3 on Tortoise motors.
The problem is which way around each motor is fitted. You need to determine which front motors tab 2 or 3 is connecting to 4 when the point is set for the middle straight through route. Then do the same on the rear motor.
Having determined which tab 2 or 3 is connecting to tab 4 on each motor when set for the middle route. Connect the approach rails to the front motors 2 & 3 tabs, ensuring the point and its two motors are set for the middle track route. Connect tab 4 to the points front frog. Two additional wires from front motor tabs 2 & 3 go to rear motors tabs 2 & 3. Rear frog wire to rear motor 4 pad. But all this depends on setting the point and its two motors to the correct position and then testing which tab 2 or 3 is in contact with tab 4 on each of the Tortoise motors.

https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electri ... #3waypoint
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Mark19

Post by Mark19 »

Hi thanks for your help I can confirm the my motors are a 180 degree opposite each other I am going to work through my wiring again as I think I may have something wrong reading flashbangs very good explanation

Thank Mark
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

This may help further?
3W point with Tortoise.jpg
Mark19

Post by Mark19 »

Hi

I have been wright back through the wiring and checked the point after refitting the point I did have a minor change in the I managed to go strait through with a train BUT now I cant get either side,

point one the first one I have pins 1 and 8 going to dS64 pins 2 and 3 going to track power with pin 4 going to the frogs (2)
Point 2 is wired the same but only controlling the one frog.
so I have tried switching the 2&3 pins on both motors at different time no joy only get some joy but not all 3 ways unfortunately.

So I am missing something or got something totally wrong pully my hair out and I haven't got a lot

any more advice would be great

Thanks
Mark
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi

If you're not able to get the points frog switching working correctly, then you need to work through one point end at a time.. Disconnect all wiring to all point switches.(not motor feeds)

At point 1, the single line end blades ensure the point is set straight and check the motors contacts 4 to which ever is closed 2 or 3 is made. Then move to motor 2 and ensure the contacts 4 to whichever is made 2 or 3.
Making a note of these then wire as shown using 4 as the common change over and the 2 or 3 as the contact that makes to 4 depending on the motor/point bales position closed or open.
Mark19

Post by Mark19 »

thanks all went back through my wiring and the point is now working fine
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Well done, in the end I resorted to marking the rail heads on mine with blackboard markers of the various colours in the diagram.. Fortunately all wiring was above board under a flat of home made grass mat.