New start

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Alanward

New start

Post by Alanward »

Morning!
I am contemplating a modular layout - due to attic access I need to build in 4' sections- and I'm looking at approx 14' x about 6'6". Later steam era.
I'd like one side to be a shed with turntable and a wee goods area with quite a few sidings.

Now - any ideas how best to do this? Is it possible? Would 2' wide boards be big enough or 3'? A continuous 2 or 3 line loop be on the outer side of the boards as I want a mainline station on the other side...
Alanward

Re: New start

Post by Alanward »

I should've said it is OO gauge.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Generally 2' wide is preferred for a width of a baseboard as any wider can be difficult to reach. (One will need to clean track or occasionally clean dust and cobwebs etc).
For the reasons above, a depth (Width) of 2 ft (Or less) is more convenient. This does not mean one can't go wider. It just means if one does, one needs a plan in the design where one has access to reach things. (The same goes with tunnels etc which is why I preferred the old Triang-Hornby tunnel portals because they being slightly larger than other makes allowed me better arm access to clean the track and when repainted from those funny green colours they came in (Origionally had a card "Tunnel" part) into a more conventional tunnel portal grey, they look great!)
I hope this helps. It is the basic consideration so one can reach things is why modellers find 2ft easier.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

It would be worth looking at Anyrail, there is a free version that allows you to 50 bits of track. You can specify your work area (i.e. loft) and draw your desired baseboards 'in' it. Then you can design the layout, or at least bits of it, maybe upgrading to the paid version if you like it, and see what will work for you. The ruler tool allows you to measure reach, something easily forgotten. Everything always takes up a lot more space than you think, depressingly.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Richard08 wrote:It would be worth looking at Anyrail, there is a free version that allows you to 50 bits of track. You can specify your work area (i.e. loft) and draw your desired baseboards 'in' it. Then you can design the layout, or at least bits of it, maybe upgrading to the paid version if you like it, and see what will work for you. The ruler tool allows you to measure reach, something easily forgotten. Everything always takes up a lot more space than you think, depressingly.
Hello All;
I understand the "reach" problem as one for which we should perform an experiment. It has to be more than just stretching out the arm ("Ah. Two feet should do it") as we must also consider what task we plan to perform at that reach. The tasks "wiping the track", "resetting a derailed train" and "fixing broken scenery" require our wrists//hands to adopt various poses, especially if tools or tubes are involved.

The design limit of "50 bits of track" in an application might be overcome if one can make multiple 50-track versions. The design of the layout then becomes modular, which (modular) might be a good way to build the physical layout, as well.

Cheers, Chris
End2end

Post by End2end »

Hi Alanward and welcome to the forum. :)

There's also SCARM layout design software.
Both are easy to use.
https://www.anyrail.com/en
https://www.scarm.info/index.php

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
End2end

Post by End2end »

ChrisGreaves wrote:The design limit of "50 bits of track" in an application might be overcome if one can make multiple 50-track versions.
Indeed!
I had to design my layout in 2 sections (front and rear) in the software due to the limitations.
Once I had designed the front part of the layout, saved the file and also save it as a picture, I started to delete track pieces from the front to add more, continuing round to the rear. This kept the dimensions of the layout from the front to rear. Ending up with only the rear section. Then saving that as a new file and a new picture.
I hope that makes sense. :?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
centenary

Post by centenary »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Hello All;
I understand the "reach" problem as one for which we should perform an experiment. It has to be more than just stretching out the arm ("Ah. Two feet should do it") as we must also consider what task we plan to perform at that reach. The tasks "wiping the track", "resetting a derailed train" and "fixing broken scenery" require our wrists//hands to adopt various poses, especially if tools or tubes are involved.

The design limit of "50 bits of track" in an application might be overcome if one can make multiple 50-track versions. The design of the layout then becomes modular, which (modular) might be a good way to build the physical layout, as well.

Cheers, Chris
Id definitely recommend AnyRail over any other track planning software. Presentation wise it looks better, has libraries of different track, helpful features for smoothing curves etc, etc and is very easy to use. I bought my licence years ago. It's about €40 for the current version but well worth it imho. It isnt even the cost of a loco and only marginally more than some single items such as wagons and carriages. You also get one free upgrade to the next version whenever that is released.

I cant remember whether you can save your 50 pieces of track in the trial version then create another section etc. You should be able to screenshot each section of 50 pieces and build a full representattion of your design by printing and overlaying.