One Extreme To The Other... Gloucester Wagon

What are you up to on your workbench
Richard08

One Extreme To The Other... Gloucester Wagon

Post by Richard08 »

With the TEAs on hold until the world kicks back in in the New Year I thought it would be a good opportunity to build the Gloucester wagon I got a while back. This was a surprisingly difficult build, very difficult to get everything square, particularly the axles. More couplings needed I think... At least it's a more appropriate size for the layout.
DSC01568.resized.JPG
DSC01570.resized.JPG
Dad-1

Re: One Extreme To The Other... Gloucester Wagon

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Richard08,

That IS a shorty !
I can see your problem of liking a decent rake of wagons ..... But where to keep them.

Throws head back in a defiant way - I knew I didn't have room for '0' and stopped at 3
wagons & a brake van. Ahh, all done the easy way all Parkside plastic !!

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The dumb buffers fixed end, sprung buffers at the door end, arrangement is 'interesting'. Is there a known reason for this?
Richard08 wrote:...very difficult to get everything square, particularly the axles...
At least yours will stay square! The thought of how an all wood frame wagon would flex under load/off load, wet/dry, just for a start...
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Bigmet wrote:The dumb buffers fixed end, sprung buffers at the door end, arrangement is 'interesting'. Is there a known reason for this?
I wondered about that too! All I can find out is that the wagon dates from around 1850 or so, but no info about the odd buffer arrangements. The kit is from Majestic Models, not currently in their range it seems - going by the rusty staples on the instructions probably from some time ago. The blurb says these wagons were built in some numbers with many variations according to customer specifications. There kit is specifically for a 'Edmund Thomas, Llwyncelwn' wagon so I kind of assume it's a specific prototype. It's the weirdness that caught my eye. Any further info would be welcome
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

It's taken a couple of sessions and a fair amount of Language, but finally it runs properly. With the wheelbase being so short any misalignment means the poor little thing will happily take whatever route it fancies through the double slip (fine with points though!). Even with the bearing holes drilled to be frightening close to going straight through the axle boxes I had to resort to filing an mm or so off the axles ends (maintaining the points). Luckily I'd not gone mad with the solder so a tap with a (small) hammer got the W irons off and much faffing took place. Still, 'tis done and lessons learned. Here it is after being run all round the layout testing, not playing trains (ahem), with the other wagons awaiting paint (still haven't found that hand wheel off the Dogfish that set off into the sunset, ho hum).
DSC01572.resized.JPG
Unfortunately the recent cold spell seems to have warped the platform canopy roof - some strategic flora should do for camouflage...
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

A mere five months later... painting and decorating complete. Just got to clean the wheels. It's taken an unreasonable number of hours to pick out all the ironwork, definitely pushing what skills I have to the limit. It all looked so innocent in the bag. I'm in even more awe at the bods who line engines free-hand!
DSC01821.resized.JPG