Hello from a frenchman in France

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
gibetb

Hello from a frenchman in France

Post by gibetb »

Hello everybody,

My name is Jean-Baptiste, I'm 42, and nobody is perfect : I'm a Frenchman from France ;-) (so apologize my english, even if I will do my best)

I'm here because I plan to build a british layout (in fact my project is not really classical, but more details in a future forum post), and I have - and will have - a lot of questions about british railway and model railway, even I'm not really a prototypical modeler.

I'm curious about the railroad in general : if in H0 scale, my materiel is french (SNCF), my N scale one is north-american. And I love narrow gauge too...

Apart to be a father at home since my girl is born, and for one year now, my main activity is for my great pleasure to write articles (and make some videos too) for french model railway magasines.
glencairn

Re: Hello from a frenchman in France

Post by glencairn »

Welcome on board, Jean-Baptiste.
A great crew here.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
centenary

Post by centenary »

Hello! Are you tempted to go Hornby TT:120 for your British outline layout or OO?
gibetb

Post by gibetb »

Thanks for the welcome !
centenary wrote:Hello! Are you tempted to go Hornby TT:120 for your British outline layout or OO?
Oh yes, I'm tempted by the Hornby TT but not for the project I mentionned, which is an extension of my actual (and french) layout, as I explain here : https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 28#p705128

TT seems to be an exciting scale... A very good compromise between H0/OO and N. You have lucky to have, for the time being anyway, such choice and prices which keep to be reasonnable. In France, currently, you can only find two locomotives (SNCF railway) under 100€, and three others under 150€. And most of them can't really be used on a lot of layouts...

So Saint-Drop will be my first step in british model railway, but not my last I presume.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Welcome aboard gibeth,
Where may one expect to find a Frenchman, but mostly in France.
Your English is enough to put most of us to shame. The British are awful at learning languages,
you put us to shame.
We do have an excuse - so many other peoples use English we can be lazy and get away with it !!

However we are probably much better at railways.

Geoff T.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bonjour et bienvenue. :D
Thanks
End2end.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
gibetb

Post by gibetb »

Dad-1 wrote:Welcome aboard gibeth,
Where may one expect to find a Frenchman, but mostly in France.
Your English is enough to put most of us to shame. The British are awful at learning languages,
you put us to shame.
Thanks. To be honest, I write better in english than I speak. My accent is more french than my train layouts :mrgreen:
But it's the same in french ! Writing has never been a problem for me, as long as I remember. The words come better to my hand than to my mouth...
And I had a good teacher... whose became my father in law :) So I watched and listened a lot of BBC broadshows.
In fact, there is something between my family in law and England : my father in law and mother in law have been english teachers, as my wife's aunt and grand-mother, and my wife studied philosophy during one year in Durham.
It explain that I have been exposed to a lot of english contents since 20 years now.
Dad-1 wrote:We do have an excuse - so many other peoples use English we can be lazy and get away with it !!
Yes, and I think it's the same for all english spoken countries.
The english language is a problem for a lot of french peoples but it would be worse if french was the most spoken language.
Dad-1 wrote:However we are probably much better at railways.
Well, I have to say : well done ;) I laughed a lot to this final punch :D
To be serious five minutes ^^ at least you have a lot more enthousiasts than us. And the problem is that, with the crazy prices in France, is difficult to new comers to come, if I can say. It's possible (I began when I didn't have regular incomes) but you have to be brave !
End2end wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue.
Thanks
End2end.
Merci pour l'accueil :wink:
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

gibetb wrote:Hello everybody,
Bonjour gibet!
And that pretty well exhausts my skills at writing in French, although my spoken French is Tourist+.

How far away do you live from Poissy, a western terminus of the RER-A line?
Cheers, Chris
gibetb

Post by gibetb »

ChrisGreaves wrote:How far away do you live from Poissy, a western terminus of the RER-A line?
Google Maps says 368 km :wink:
I live in Auvergne, more precisely in Puy-de-Dôme. Right in the middle of France.