Hornby's 1840 Lion Centennial Pack: does it get better than this?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Chops

Hornby's 1840 Lion Centennial Pack: does it get better than this?

Post by Chops »

https://youtu.be/Ur6PoubOUr8

A (mercifully) brief video of Hornby's Lion. It is a supreme effort by this hallowed model train company. We took some video during her maiden voyage, taking care to gently break her in both directions, at my friend, Crusty's, home.

Crusty is a delightful chap who is approaching the 30 year mark as a train driver for one of the Big Four railways, in the USA. Much of his expansive collection is of trains he has seen first hand, over the years. And some of it is nostalgia for America's golden age of passenger service. To say rail roading run's in Crusty's blood would be an understatement.
Lion 5.jpg
Soon to be placed in excursion service. Anxiously awaiting some Victorian re-enactors to populate the third class coaches. Actually, by simply removing internal combustion machines from the layout, it reverts neatly to early 19th century. Maiden voyage on Henley. Runs like a Swiss watch.
Lion 1.jpg
Nessie rocks!
GeraldH

Re: Hornby's 1840 Lion Centennial Pack: does it get better than this?

Post by GeraldH »

That does look nice. I wonder if it is possible to put standard couplings on it?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Everything is possible in the couplings department, just a matter of how much modification you are prepared to introduce to the model.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Why on earth would you put standard couplings on it?!
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Yes I also got one for Christmas and the couplings unfortunately are a major issue for me I will be looking for another way, without damaging or spoiling the set.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
b308

Post by b308 »

Use some thread to represent rope!! Just don't try a brake test! ;)
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

[Pokes stick into wasps nest] This kind of highlights the manufacturers perfect dichotomy : Some want absolute realism at all costs while others put interoperability (couplings) as being an acceptable compromise high on the agenda. They can't win whatever they do!
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

I can't see the point of replacing them with tension locks - on some of the other rolling stock produced or planned for this the couplings would be almost as big as the wagon - but Accurascale do magnetic chain couplings if you just want something less fiddly.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I'd go along with stuartp, you are hardly going to hang modern day rolling stock off the back of it. It allegedly still caries the battle scars from it's use in the filming of the Titfield Thunderbolt.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

The BNR have been considering using one on regular passenger services, so it would have to be coupled up the French Blue Mk1s and the clerestories. Locos have to earn their keep on the BNR :) . Once the Rapido one comes out, there may be be some good deals on these.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Chops

Post by Chops »

The couplings, as you know, are a bit of flexible plastic. The rigidity of the plastic can lift the adjoining wheel set of the rails. With a little tinkering at bending the coupling, i managed to get them behave. Another option would be to get a fine bit of chain, like that used in costume jewelry, and attach the ends permanently with a drop of super glue.
Nessie rocks!