Identifying an A4

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
D605Eagle

Identifying an A4

Post by D605Eagle »

I bought several unboxed Margate era locos recently. One of them is a model of Sir Nigel Gresley in LNER Blue without side valences and oddly black wheels (loco and tender) I suspect this might be an ex set model from a clothes catalogue or Argos or something like that. It has other oddities too, like the tender connection is unsprung, something I've never seen on any tender drive pacific from the Margate era. It might be a parts bin special though, or has anybody got an idea on how to identify it if it is "as built?
Richard08

Re: Identifying an A4

Post by Richard08 »

Yeah, just noticed the tender..... oops.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

This site is often useful for working out what 'it' might be:
http://www.hornbyguide.com/default.asp
A quick look at the A4's, does yours look like this?
http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=463
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

That's an ex Hornby Dublo version made by Wrenn and sold under the Triang-Wrenn branding (little w after the date), but yes like that but with black wheels. This one however is a tender drive Hornby 80s or 90s version. Unfortunately Hornbyguide doesn't cover a lot of the made for other companies models, and I'm 99% sure that's what this is. In fact they have never done a Sir Nigel Gresley without valences in LNER blue in tender drive for general sale. I'd pop a picture up but my photo hosting website seems to have gone bust. It's a real horses arse because its got it's pre war number of 4498 as well. Ebay search of for sale or sold didn't bring anything like it either.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

This needs Pat Hammond, or someone with like knowledge, I suspect...
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Think I've sussed it. Hornby did a limited edition of Sir Nige in the 90s as it was preserved at the time, and for some odd reason somebody has put a body from one of those on a black wheeled chassis.