2mm SQUARE PLASTIC PROFILE LENGTHs - bending it to shape

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
lenht1951

2mm SQUARE PLASTIC PROFILE LENGTHs - bending it to shape

Post by lenht1951 »

I'm looking to make my own kerbstones by marking out 2 x 2 x 500mm square plastic profile every 12mm to represent 3 ft kerbs, the straights look great but I now need to bend it into shape at the road junctions. Some of the curves will be quite sharp but not right angled. Anyone on here done something similar and if so how did you go about it, Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance :D
Bufferstop

Re: 2mm SQUARE PLASTIC PROFILE LENGTHs - bending it to shape

Post by Bufferstop »

In past times I might have messed about trying to bend the strips in hot water. Today I'd just draw what I wanted on the PC and 3D print them. I use a free 3D design program called Design Spark Mechanical from RS Components. https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/m ... stallation It can function much like SketchUp in 3D mode but also allows you to work in traditional plan and elevation modes. You would create your curved kerb by drawing a 2mm square and rotating it about a point at whatever radius you want. Better than that though you could give your kerb the slight batter and rounded top edge of the cast concrete variety. If you don't have access to a 3D printer you can upload your design to printing services who print and send you your model, or look for a local college/training centre or even library advertising a "maker space" a staffed workshop with printing and cutting equipment which you can use yourself under supervision.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions