Digikeijs DR 4018 switch decoder

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
inoffapost

Digikeijs DR 4018 switch decoder

Post by inoffapost »

I've been looking for a multiple switch decoder unit to hook up the remaining non-motorised points I have on my layout. As I used a Roco z21 system I wanted to use their own 8 switch decoder unit.However, global supply problems indicate these are, and will remain,unavailable for some time to come.

As a result I found the Digikeijs DR 4018 which performs the identical functions and is available and reasonably priced. All good then. Hmmm not quite.

According to Digikeijs support the DR 4018 doesn't have any CDU in built and they wouldn't answer my question as to whether that is necessary.

What they did say is that the unit is not compatible with PECO, Gaugemaster, SEEP or even some other solenoid points units. This is because the DR4018 is rated for 18 volt / 2 amp output, whilst the solenoid motors mentioned operate at 19 volts and draw 2.5 - 3 amps. They will work, but might not and could cause damage to the switch unit invalidating warranty etc.

The question(s) I wish to pose is what point motors to combine the DR4018 with? Can anyone advise which point motors only have an 18 volt/ 2 amp draw? - and what is the feeling regarding the CDU aspect? Should a CDU always be incorporated to protect the solenoid motors?

Hitherto, I've only used Gaugemaster PM10D's on the layout which have in-built CDU's and they have proved very reliable. However, my aim with the multiple decoder was to reduce on costs with a cheaper and simpler point motor controlled through a central unit.

If anyone has some insight or perhaps uses a Digikeijs switch control unit I would be happy to hear your thoughts.
Many thanks
Mick
Bigmet

Re: Digikeijs DR 4018 switch decoder

Post by Bigmet »

No experience of the Digikeijs product, but the spec suggests it would handle slow motion motors such as the well known Tortoise, Lemaco and Fulgurex types. I use the Fulgurex, run from the controlled supply from an H&M clipper set to low output, the motor draws about 200mA on starting at between 3 and 4 volts at the motor terminals, for a slow and quiet movement. (These type of motors are kinder to the points too, none of the 'whap!' of the mighty solenoid, which can eventually fatigue plastic tiebars to failure.)
Suzie

Re: Digikeijs DR 4018 switch decoder

Post by Suzie »

Peco make the PL10W and PL10EW which are designed to work with lower current.

As to whether you need a CDU, strictly speaking they should not be necessary. As long as you have a very free mechanism you should be O.K.