Hornby's hot' announcement So it's TT 120!

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Mountain

Re: Hornby's hot' announcement So it's TT 120!

Post by Mountain »

The couplings are interesting. I like the 08's and the A4 just looks supurb. I can see traditional TT enthusiasts wanting to make the change after seeing those lovely models!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Apologies. :oops: I've only just realised I didn't reply.
D605Eagle wrote:Not quite true as it's a bit complicated. A better way of saying it is both companies are owned by another :wink:
Oh most definitely D605. It was more from an outsiders perspective really.
This looks like the Hornby logo to non modellers, so one could surmise that it is a Hornby related / Hornby owned company.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Mountain wrote:The couplings are interesting. I like the 08's and the A4 just looks supurb. I can see traditional TT enthusiasts wanting to make the change after seeing those lovely models!
You would have to really want to change! Apart from the difference in couplers the difference in physical size is far more striking than the difference between 00 and H0. So those who have stayed loyal to TT3 and have probably constructed most of their stock from scratch or kits, some having built their own track to 14.whatever, they just aren't going to want to change.
The difference in size may have something to do with Triang's lax attitude to scale. I remember when TT3 started they published drawings of both the Jinty and its mechanism. For the first time ever I compared the drawings to the published prototype dimensions. It would appear that if a dimension was causing tooling problems Rovex wasn't above changing it!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
boxbrownie

Re: Hornby have a hot' announcement Monday 10th

Post by boxbrownie »

Bufferstop wrote:E2E My son works for JLR and it's location is only supplied on a need to know basis, it's always on the battery pack and it's operation renders the pack dead. I assume there's a procedure for the fire crews to be notified where it is when they are at the scene. There's also a service isolating link which disconnects the external terminals, but leaves the battery operable. The levels of protection around the traction wiring and components is way beyond that used on forklifts and milk floats. The only permanent connection to the charge socket is a communication line that handshakes with the charging point to set the charging rate and connect the pins in the socket to the built in controller. It's a whole new world for the mechanics. Son has an interview for a training job at their research and testing centre, he's got an advantage over most of the others, he knows one end of a spanner from t'other.

End of digression back to Hornby's Hot Announcement.
Sorry to raise this after some time and in the TT thread but, all EVs have a traction battery isolation block, effectively a double pole “switch” that isolates the HV battery, it’s not hidden (for obvious reasons) and bright Orange in colour, usually just under the bonnet/hood.

No production passenger car I know has a fire extinguishing system built in.

I wish your Son luck with his interview a lot of my 35 years of work in Vehicle R&E was on LR and Jaguars when we owned JLR, and they built the best cars when Ford owned them, the quality of the vehicles when Ford bought the company was abysmal and their production lines from two decades earlier!

But I preferred going to MK when needed to visit Aston Martin…..I wonder why? :D

Anyway back to TT120….
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Bufferstop wrote:Got my hands on some today, definitely not vapourware. There won't be any shortage of track, according to Simon K it's the one big advantage of using an established scale, the factory that supplies track for the continental TT120 ranges just stamp a different name under the sleepers. Couldn't persuade anyone to take the top of a loco, but they pack enough weight. The coupler is a masterpiece in plastic moulding but like nothing seen on any other gauge.
The track is the Tillig ballasted click track, unfortunately a bit basic with dead frogs, the couplers are also a well established type, by…..Tillig I thin Hornby have been over the Channel shopping :D

I like the new PECO TT track, much better.

One thing I have noticed on the picture of the Hornby EPs is the size of the flanges, it just looks like the relative size of flanges to scale that are on N gauge models, I was hoping for slightly finer flanges.
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The wheel profile is probably that used by Tillig, I'd agree it looks to be close to that used in N Gauge, I suppose the reasoning is "if it's acceptable in N the slightly larger scale would render it more acceptable.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Bufferstop wrote:The wheel profile is probably that used by Tillig, I'd agree it looks to be close to that used in N Gauge, I suppose the reasoning is "if it's acceptable in N the slightly larger scale would render it more acceptable.
I think you have misinterpreted my point, my fault…..looking at the flanges on the steam Locos, especially the leading bogie they really do look like something from the 60’s, very coarse. I am hoping these are just EPs that have yet to be refined.

I’ve Kato N gauge Locos/DMU/EMUs which have much finer flanges in comparison, annoyingly being only available online means you either order and send them back or don’t bother if you want to see them in the flesh.

The flanges on the Hornby TT coaches and wagons looks good, but they are not what we focus on when running a train.
Best regards David