Hornby's hot' announcement So it's TT 120!

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Bigmet

Hornby's hot' announcement So it's TT 120!

Post by Bigmet »

Well, so they claim.
Nuclear flask wagon with some spent fuel in the flask?
Their exciting water atomiser for steamier steam than smoke oil?
Commemoration set of four locos present for the centenary of the Grouping, one per group? (A1, T9, 28xx, Jinty?)
Daring launch of/lurch into (take your pick) TT:120?
Celebration issue of a Gresley A1 for the centenary of Flying Scotsman entering traffic?
<Add suggestions here>

Whatever. I shall be in the land the internet forgot by Monday if all goes to plan, so you will know more than me.
D605Eagle

Re: Hornby have a hot' announcement Monday 10th

Post by D605Eagle »

Another run of their live steam trainsets again? At the new bargain price of £1999. Just waiting for the price defenders to heat up their keyboards :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
End2end

Post by End2end »

Maybe they have bought an electric vehicle because of the energy price hikes and are going to use it to heat the warehouse?? :lol: :lol:
13fb269951e14b12.jpeg
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Working diesel electric diesels? No, wait, an idea from G1 in Germany - the driver 'changes ends' according to direction? Guard figure to go in the back of diesels when Class 6 (DCC)? 1/2 scale working firebox so you can cook an authentic breakfast? Re-spray of an existing model?
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Any random new model that was on display at GETS that Kohler was nosing around at....
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

@ E2E.
Electric vehicles have a "fireman's handle" It's not obvious for obvious reasons, but when they've been told where it is and how to quickly access it, one quick pull disconnects the battery pack, some even release an extinguishing agent similar to that used in the engine room of diesels. Doesn't help much if it's a Tesla as their bodywork contains so much flammable material.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bufferstop wrote:Electric vehicles have a "fireman's handle" It's not obvious for obvious reasons,
Hmmm, First I've heard of that to be honest Bufferstop.
Probably best to let the owners and ALL the fire service(s) know about that. Although I wouldn't like to be the one to try to get near it when an EV is alight. :lol:
After the multitude of EV fires I've seen. Cars, bikes, scooters and buses going up in flames, It's becoming a worrying trend.

Coincidently Mrs End2end works for a car review company and has never heard of it either. The company reviews at least one EV a fortnight too.
But I've passed passed the information on to her just in case. :wink:

So what else could be Hornby's revelation? I guess all will be revealed tomorrow. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

E2E My son works for JLR and it's location is only supplied on a need to know basis, it's always on the battery pack and it's operation renders the pack dead. I assume there's a procedure for the fire crews to be notified where it is when they are at the scene. There's also a service isolating link which disconnects the external terminals, but leaves the battery operable. The levels of protection around the traction wiring and components is way beyond that used on forklifts and milk floats. The only permanent connection to the charge socket is a communication line that handshakes with the charging point to set the charging rate and connect the pins in the socket to the built in controller. It's a whole new world for the mechanics. Son has an interview for a training job at their research and testing centre, he's got an advantage over most of the others, he knows one end of a spanner from t'other.

End of digression back to Hornby's Hot Announcement.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Bufferstop wrote:@ E2E.
Electric vehicles have a "fireman's handle" It's not obvious for obvious reasons, but when they've been told where it is and how to quickly access it, one quick pull disconnects the battery pack, some even release an extinguishing agent similar to that used in the engine room of diesels. Doesn't help much if it's a Tesla as their bodywork contains so much flammable material.
Found this in a Fire & Rescue Service blurb on EVs...
BFRS have also developed information for all fire engines which enable us to identify what model of vehicle is involved in an incident, including EVs, where the battery is and where the isolation switches are.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Post by 4472 »

It's a whole new range of tt120. locos rolling stock buildings rail

https://uk.hornby.com/hornbytt120?xnpe_ ... dium=email
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
Bufferstop

Re: Hornby's hot' announcement So it's TT 120!

Post by Bufferstop »

Well done Bigmet, even if it was your fifth suggestion. I look forward to seeing some for real. At one point I seriously considered turning to 3mm scale and building my own track.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Quite a good range - I confess to expecting two or three models as usually happens with such launches. Wot? No Class 31 ;-) Not entirely sure where the market is, with people already locked into their own current gauge, but good luck.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

How long will it stay web only? How will the uninitiated. Know it exists, I don't think Hornby have the sought of advertising budget to reach the general public, and a wide range needs to be available before you will get enthusiasts changing scales. I see there will be a range of Oxford diecasts in 1:120 and Peco have been making 12mm track for some time. Interesting times!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:Well done Bigmet, even if it was your fifth suggestion...
It was a fairly obvious thing to take a punt on as the content of this announcement. (I'd still expect something else from my list wth the 'Locomotion' tie in over FS for its centenary.) Peco would have approached the various brands serving the UK market for model railway product in advance with information of their TT:120 intentions, inviting participation; and frankly the 'other brands' product list was looking rather thin until this announcement: Heljan with a Brush 2, Gaugemaster expressions of interest for something or other, to go with Peco's 12T coal wagon...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

There's a handful of 3mm layouts (12mm and 14mm.gauge) which do the Midlands exhibition circuit. They all look well proportioned I'm sure the slightly smaller scale masks being less detailed. I wonder if the same effect will happen with 2.5m scale.