Best adhesive for gluing brick paper to plastic

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
lenht1951

Best adhesive for gluing brick paper to plastic

Post by lenht1951 »

Hi, What would be the best adhesive for gluing brick paper to abutments that I have made from plain plastikard :?:
Last edited by lenht1951 on Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bufferstop

Re: Best adhesive for gluing brick paper to plastic

Post by Bufferstop »

When plastikard first appeared the suggested method of applying brick paper was to "dry fit" the paper to the card then wash over it with solvent adhesive. I've never tried it but the only problem may be if the ink used in the printing runs when the solvent is applied. I've tried PVA which seems to work if the edges can be folded over the card, exposed edges have a tendency to lift allowing the paper to be pealed off
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Tom@Crewe

Post by Tom@Crewe »

With my card buildings and some plastic card ones, I don't use plain paper I use A4 self adhesive paper / essentially plain white A4 stickers you print yourself. (plenty of choice on eBay.)

Prints the same, cut out the same, peel of backing carefully line up, rub down and done.
Never enough time...........

Coppenhall Goods https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 22&t=50174
jed10

Post by jed10 »

UHU Power. It's amazing stuff and will stick pretty much anything. It also doesn't make clear plastic go cloudy. I dispense it into a needle tip applicator bottle to use it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Be sure to test your brick paper at least a week in advance with the adhesive, both applied on the paper alone and as it will be mounted on whatever plasticard you are using.

'3M Spraymount' is good in my experience, I have both my own photographic prints and various printed paper art reproductions mounted on a variety of substrates from up to 45 years ago, all of them still in good condition, no peeling, colour shifts, bleeding.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

I use Evo-Stick (well, Wilko contact adhesive actually, blue tube) - but you do have to spread it quite quickly before is starts clumping. If it goes wrong, you can peel it off and try again.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Agree with Bigmet - a good quality spraymount is fine for what you need. After 14 years, platform surfaces and edging are still fine.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I used standard UHU for the brick wall of the turntable well, stuck well and was easy to apply so long as you watch out for stringing.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
lenht1951

Post by lenht1951 »

Many thanks for the info guys, ended up using uhu because I have loads of it. :)
1 (7).jpg