Vanwide. Sams Trains Review. And A Few Of My Thoughts...

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Mountain

Vanwide. Sams Trains Review. And A Few Of My Thoughts...

Post by Mountain »

https://youtu.be/rBlZaayenK0

They are really nice vans but for the price I expect a little more (Such as brass axle bearings, opening doors, working metal buffers etc., none of which these vans have. Would have been good if the chassis was designed for easy to conversion to EM or P4 but I will wait for those modellers to comment when they get their hands on one, and a way to adjust the tension lock coupling length positioning would have been nice so modellers can either couple them closer, or not according to their curves, but I am being fussy because of the market these vans are intended to hit as I would not have thought that these are aimed at the average modeller, as these vans are something special).

My thoughts...

I realize that prices are going up and that these vans are real highly detailed models, but if the RRP price was set at £10 less so at £29.95 each, I would have thought "Nice, but out of my price range" (If I was still into 00 gauge), and I would see modellers buying them. But with a RRP at £39.95, I think to myself "Is anyone going to buy one?"

Take a look at Sams review and see what you think as they are lovely highly detailed vans.

Will they sell well though? Time will tell, and if they don't try, they will never know, as markets are a funny thing and so are us modellers! :D
Bigmet

Re: Vanwide. Sams Trains Review. And A Few Of My Thoughts...

Post by Bigmet »

Clear water between this item and a kit price, which many modellers will act on.
Mountain wrote:... a way to adjust the tension lock coupling length positioning would have been nice ...
That's 'built in' thanks to the NEM coupler pocket, and its mount. And an increasing range of suitable couplers are available. I would redeploy the Bach MTL to my unfitted wagon fleet where they yield a loose coupled effect, once adjusted to position the bumper bar co-planar with the buffer faces: please throw any unwanted Bach MTL in my direction, still quite a number of conversions and kitbuilds to do - and I thank you...
Mountain wrote:They are really nice vans but for the price I expect a little more ... working metal buffers ...
Which their emerging competitors supply. This is a desireable feature on brake fitted four wheel wagons, (and unfitted with screwlink couplers) as it enables them to be coupled correctly with bufferheads in contact, which is easily achieved from the range of alternative couplings now before us. Provided that any pair of buffers in contact have at least 2mm stroke between them, a close coupled SWB wagon train will be good down to 24" radius, and longer w/b 4w vehicles are no trouble if curves are 30" radius or better. To say this looks well is the very least of it. Now all we need are flexible brake pipes with self aligning magnetic heads...
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

Bigmet wrote:. To say this looks well is the very least of it. Now all we need are flexible brake pipes with self aligning magnetic heads...
Easy enough

https://p4newstreet.com/articlePDFs/Update42pipes.pdf

Must be 20 years since I wrote this article, if not more!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Excellent. I feel the top tip is drilling the locating hole at an upward angle for the 'droop'.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I am impressed!
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

wrong post