Is it possible to use these cheap sound chips with DCC?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
denfin

Is it possible to use these cheap sound chips with DCC?

Post by denfin »

I saw these cheap sound chips on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003986094059.html

They can record a few seconds of sound, and I kinda thought, would it be possible to hook one of these up to a Lais DCC decoder that I have or similar to play a quick sound?

And you can buy a module here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32760347716.html

And here is instructions: https://www.allelectronics.com/mas_asse ... /ME-63.pdf

So you can record and test the chips first in this module I guess, then you take the chip out and solder it to a DCC decoder and a speaker and only use it for playback. So what may be the best way to hook it up to a function pin on a DCC decoder to trigger the sound with the DCC controller? I guess it need much less voltage and stuff at least than what DCC uses.

And yes, I understand this is obviously not as good quality and stuff as a proper DCC sound chip, and can not use multiple sounds and synchronized chuffs etc, but I thought this might be a cheap alternative for just like a locomotive whistle or so and a fun little project since I been been soldering in cheap DCC decoders in my old non DCC ready locomotives.
Flashbang

Re: Is it possible to use these cheap sound chips with DCC?

Post by Flashbang »

I doubt a DCC loco decoder would be able to operate the sound chip directly. IMO its highly unlikely a Function output (switched negative to common Positive Blue wire) would work. But a function output could operate either a 12v micro relay and via the relays contact closing operate the sound? Or use a transistor as the switching means.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I don't see them going into 00 scale and below locos, but they definitely would have a use for supplying spot background sounds at points around a layout, or for an overall background soundscape if fitted below a micro layout.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
denfin

Post by denfin »

Hm, yeah I thought they could not probably be hooked up directly to a DCC function, any idea how I can try hook it up with a relay or transistor? how the schematic would be? And could a resistor or something be used to lower the voltage from DCC? Cus that's what I done with LEDs before and what's recomended to do.