Accurascal Class 55

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Rich123

Accurascal Class 55

Post by Rich123 »

I have just received my Accurascale Class 55. It is a wonderful looking loco but I've hit upon a snag. I'm having trouble fitting a DCC decoder. I've removed the magnetically held top plate but cannot remove the blanking plate (at least l think it's the blanking plate, it's a plate that has 5 raised oblongs on it). I've tried to remove it but it won't budge. I don't want to try too hard in case I damage it. I have attached a photo.

Can any one assist, please?
Attachments
IMG_2290.JPG
Bigmet

Re: Accurascale Class 55

Post by Bigmet »

The pins can be tight, and not being able to grip the sides of the PCB won't help. For removal, what I would do is carefully lever up very slightly from each side at the end of the pin row, alternating a little movement one side, then the other. Patience is everything, you don't want to bend the pins!

HTH! Let us know how you get on...
gromit54

Re: Accurascal Class 55

Post by gromit54 »

I've just had the same problem, I did exactly what bigmet has said and it does come away, just take it steady.
I have to say these a superb models. Which one did you get out of interest? Mine is 55 015 Tulyar
Mad dog gromit strikes again!!
Rich123

Re: Accurascale Class 55

Post by Rich123 »

Thanks for the advice. I was being too timid. The blanking plates on all my other locos came off without any problems so I was a bit worried about this one.

I got The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. I wanted another in green but I dithered too long and it was sold out. It's a beautiful model and I was so impressed I've ordered a Class 37 - D6702 - green with half yellow ends.
gromit54

Post by gromit54 »

I got The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. I wanted another in green but I dithered too long and it was sold out. It's a beautiful model and I was so impressed I've ordered a Class 37 - D6702 - green with half yellow ends.[/quote]

Totally agree with you they are fantastic model, Accurascale have done a superb job and should be appeared for their efforts.
Will surely get model of the year imo.
Looking forward to the class 37s now.
Mad dog gromit strikes again!!
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

I wasn't going to buy one of these but as Accurascale are now accepting orders for what is left, I bought 55 001 St Paddy as it was the only one left with marker lights instead of head codes which is what I wanted. Hopefully it will be winging its way to me soon.
Bigmet, you may be interested to know that the wheel diameter and body skirt issue on previous versions of the Deltic seems to have been dealt with on the Accurascale model by the fitting of 12.5mm diameter wheels rather than the correct size. On a model such as this, it is an acceptable compromise to get the model height correct with the ability to negotiate model railway curves I think. The Deltic is one of those models which you really can't have your cake & eat it.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The problem with this compromise is that often deformations creep into the model, leading to problems for those wanting to fit scale diameter wheels for the more accurate appearance. I will wait and see on Accuracale's announced EE type 3. If that has scale bogies - the same design as used under the Deltics - then if available as spares, the possibility of bogie transplants can be explored.

The OO gauge compromise is enough to allow a Deltic to have scale diameter wheels, if a minimum radius restriction of 30" is accepted. That's how my Bachmann Deltic operates, and it was an easy conversion because the mouldings and wheels are correctly scaled; so cutting down the central bogie mounting puts the body at correct height above the bogie top and the buffers at scale height, job done in under half an hour. (As supplied the Bachmann Deltic, along with their first toolings of Brush and EE type 4s, have the body raised to clear the wheels; what they have done since I don't know, bought what was required for the layout operation up to the first appearance of D1500 in mid 1962 - at which point we run back to 1955 and wholly steam operation.)