Chalkhill

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Chalkhill

Post by Dad-1 »

Mmmm All,

For those speeds I've run out of white stars !!

Fun aside, I did a stage 1 weathering on my Cambrian Kits Loriot last evening, here with
a Dapol JCB that's gone through stage 2 weathering.

When laying some surface material I've stuck the nissen hut onto it's 'concrete' base. Do I cut
off, or is it fate saying it should be here !!

Now slightly cooler perhaps paint will work better.

Geoff T
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Weathering is always worthwhile I see you had a go on the Nissan hut too, and even light weathering is a serious improvement
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Jaz,

That Nissan hut has lots more to go.
The hut (in my imagination) has been there since WWII and we are now into the
1950's. Now it's accidently stuck down it's going to be much more difficult to get
what I want.......

Geoff T
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Dad-1 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:41 pm Now it's accidently stuck down it's going to be much more difficult to get
what I want.......
Not just me then. When I built the signal box I had no intention of sticking it until the interior and roof were finished. 20min later.... ah well.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Dad-1 wrote:
The hut (in my imagination) has been there since WWII and we are now into the
1950's. Now it's accidently stuck down it's going to be much more difficult to get
what I want.......
Well it's probably heritage listed by now, so...
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi All,

Richard08, I'm pleased someone else has done the same, this is the end of the
Nissan hut that got stuck down, sticky grass !!

This is the current working area, still more to be done, mostly painting including
weathering, but the gravel mixes for my ground cover need adding when the Diesel
tank is finally fixed in place.

Phred no listings in rural & forgotten yards.
The railway came in when this was a training area during WWI. Then a cement works was started nearby.
Following removal of the main camp the flat ground was turned into a yard. WWII saw a rail mounted
anti-aircraft unit use the yard as part of the AA defences for London. later in the 1960's part of the worked
out chalk quarry was turned over to be a virtual quarry to store ballast and a small detachment of permanent
way engineers frequent the place.

Geoff T.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

The railway came in when this was a…
I do like a good backstory, sounds very plausible 8)
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Dave-00 wrote:
I do like a good backstory, sounds very plausible
Well, I believed it for a couple of minutes! I could picture it all in my mind. The power of the written word...
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Were the buildings accidentally stick down with PVA, because if so re wetting them will likely free it up and as the PVA re dries the items you meant to glue should hopefully be fine.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Been rather slow in getting back to this.

Jaz, it is stuck down with PVA, I use the outdoor standard that isn't so happy at letting
go even when dampened down. In addition the base it's stuck to is mounting board that
is only protected by one coat of H enamel paint and I don't want to damage that due to
other things along the edges. I'll just have to do the additional work in situ.

A conversation piece - I had tried pushing a couple of Dapol 16 ton mineral wagons through
each sidings point. They derailed every time, these have no added ballast each weighing
about 19 grams and running on the as supplied Dapol wheel sets.
I added a small stone to each from the garden, bringing up to around 30 grams and they
then ran O.K.
Subsequently I have exchanged one to Hornby wheels and even without the added weight
it worked fine.
What I can't remember is what locomotive I was using at the time. That is important as
the overhang of the loco coupler varies and has a dynamic influence of whatever is being
pushed. Hours of fun to come, checking, double checking and more checking !!

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I've had a Wrenn GWR LWB fruit van standing alongside the engine shed, it looked
wrong in it's original maroon so decided to paint orange ? I have a couple of pictures
where the red had faded this much !!
Here is (almost finished) tool van that will sit by the shed.

Included in the old stuff is a Triang crane. I already have one almost repainted into grey
which I may park here.

Hardly ever seen the buckets of sand by the lamp shed, so much work in such little parts !

You can understand why that side of the lamp hut is usually unseen.

Looks like it will be ready if not fully finished by 29th July !!

Geoff T.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Dad-1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:14 am I had tried pushing a couple of Dapol 16 ton mineral wagons through
each sidings point. They derailed every time, these have no added ballast each weighing
about 19 grams and running on the as supplied Dapol wheel sets.
I added a small stone to each from the garden, bringing up to around 30 grams and they
All ran fine.
I tend to use 2 pence coins in mine, some even have 2 coins in them :o
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Thanks Dave,

The answer lies in the soil !! (From old fashioned radio humour)
A new video without the troublesome trucks causing me difficulties. Amazing what a change
of wheel sets can achieve.
Anyways a video from a test session while some ground cover dries. The only big thing left
for this board is to weather the Nissan hut and it's concrete hard standing.

https://youtu.be/-15xMbmIgFs

Crane ? Which one ?
Must finish weathering the orange Tool Van - Orange, yep several photos of faded red ??
that look rather like mine.

Geoff T
Phred

Post by Phred »

Thanks for the interesting video, Dad-1. Also, your earlier mention of the sand buckets by the lamp shed reminded me that I have some which I meant to use on my station platform. They're on a shelf somewhere, I know they are...
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Ahh Phred,

Look for something else and you'll find them.
However searching for the buckets will be fruitless !!

Geoff T.