Peco sl-97 wiring for dcc

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Bernie321

Peco sl-97 wiring for dcc

Post by Bernie321 »

Can anyone help ? Diagram on rear of packaging i.e. cut these wires . For Dcc does not look like the underside of point nor has it a drop down wire?
Mike Parkes

Re: Peco sl-97 wiring for dcc

Post by Mike Parkes »

You refer to SL-97 which is an insulfrog point while the wiring for dcc (which is not essential as Peco points work fine as supplied on DCC) is for the electrofrog SLE-97 . By modifying them you are building in extra measures to ensure they remain working fine if muck etc builds up to cause problems at the essential contact locations. The electrofrog Small Y has not as far as I aware been updated so their are not breaks in the fixed part of the switch rails which results in the "cut these wires" insructions. If that is what you have and want to make it "wired for DCC" you going to need to cut a slot in each fixed part of the switch rails with a high chance of a section of rail beaking loose and add a wire from either of the rails leading away from the frog for the switched contact.
Bernie321

Post by Bernie321 »

Yes thanks, my mistake it is SL-E97 Still not totally clear as what to do.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

You do not need to do anything - it will work okay as it is. The problem however with Peco points is that the power contact bewteen a switch rail and stock rail depends on a clean contact which overtime may not conduct properly. Modifying them is not a DCC neccessity but rather good practice be it DC or DCC as shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3vuedbZ98 which uses one of the points Peco have adusted to be easier to modify. IMO they ought to factory fit all possible wires and leave it to the purchaser to cut those they do not want rather than promoting waving a solidering iron about. Back to the SLE-97 if you want to modify it then you need to follow the wiring shown in the video plus the risky cutting of the fixed part of the switch rails (been there - superglued a length of rail back in place).
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
While it is possible to modify the small Y point, personally I would not do it, as there is very little area for adding the two stock rail to adjacent closure rails soldered on bond wires underneath the rails and then cutting through the two Closure rails between the two bonds and the frog.

I have done it before, but it takes a lot of care in doing the conversion, hence my recommendation not to do it. Just add frog polarity switching. :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The reference to the modifications being "DCC friendly" is due to a perceived possibilty of the rear of a metal wheel touching the open switch rail and causing a short as all rails bar the stock rail to which the switch rail is open next to it are at the same polarity on an electrofrog poingt as supplied.