never know til you try??

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
rejrob

never know til you try??

Post by rejrob »

Hi all and hope everyone is tickety boo Still have to prise the camera off the guvnor so can upload some picci,s,hopefully??Several things on the go at the moment; waiting for the valve gear and cylinder block from the NEW SE finest for the W class, along with their E6 kit which will be hopefully worked onto a bachman E4 chassis ,providing they are comparable.The DJh L class 4-4-0 has used me problems, maybe me but also adjustments to the parts when put together, and there's more.The DJH mashima motor and GB2 gearbox was fitted(taken from a T9 which i knew worked well.everything fitted together and when tried on the test track ran beautifully forward but the fibre gear on the motor shaft slipped in reverse so spot of the old super stuff in the end of the gear but no joy.SO looked at the motor assembly for the W and its a GB1 gearbox with Mashima motor but the shaft gear is brass and has the grub screw to hold it in place .Just happen to have another GB1 gearbox also similar Mashima but no gear for the motor shaft so a telephone call will be made Monday to DJH.They have been good in the past.Also i had bought another triang L1 to check certain things surrounding the class L so thought i would upgrade as best I could this loco.Removing moulded handrails and other bits and bobs is not easy but managed and replaced with proper stuff and added route disc brackets' bachmann N class tender, and wheel bolts to replace the slotted screws used .Painted black and satin varnished ,coal added but the best bit which i have fought shy of doing in the past ,lining the loco.Hands like shovels don't help, but its done and doesn't,t look too bad(31789)and transfers from Fox.Only got 2 more L1,s to do and a DJH E1(31754;31784;31067)to be joined hopefully later in the year by Dapol D1 renumbered 31749.keep safe and all the best Ron Robinson
Bigmet

Re: never know til you try??

Post by Bigmet »

rejrob wrote:...along with their E6 kit which will be hopefully worked onto a bachman E4 chassis ,providing they are comparable...
The E4 had 5' driving wheels. Not a lot more than the 4'6" for the E6, but on a whitemetal kit the leading driver may well foul inside the splasher. But Bachmann are selling spares, and a compatible set of 4'6" wheels may be available to substitute. (I have done this successfully several times on Bachmann mechanisms, but each case needs a little research to ensure that matching axle diameter, and where applicable bearing inserts, are present on the set you want to substitute. You can get really lucky and not even have to swap the axle gear, but this is simple enough if necessary.)
rejrob

Post by rejrob »

Hi all and hope everyone is staying safe and well.Thanks for any info given .I have purchased a set of correct diameter wheels(markits) from wizard models, all insulated which goes well with the insulated wheels of bachmann E4,just adjust the copper pickups slightly??Rods sweated on and tried on the test track, runs like a dream.I have specifically asked for the wheelbase ,including between axles of their class E6 and it appears similar to the class E4.Hopefuly that will turn out right.The 3 fasties(Triang L1 upgraded) have all been lined as per 1958 and N class straight sided tender tops fitted.THey all run with a DJH combo of GB1 gearbox and can motor (i think their A9 outfit).Lovely .driver and fireman fitted along with coal which was donated from a colleague returning from the pit strikes of 1984.The wheelgaurds fitted to the triangle locos are gone and am in the process of making brass ones for them.Anyway all for now, just building myself up for the rugby tomorrow and for those of a nervous disposition its England v The Baba,s TTFN
rejrob

Post by rejrob »

`hi all.Further to my query about any difference in the wheelbases on the E4 compared to the E6 a solution??? Having spoken to dave Ellis (Or rather his opportunity gerry) i was put only Dave at Roxey who tells me all the E class had similar wheelbases Seems about right so all i have to do now is wait for the E6 body kit to adapt the bachmann body i have.Further info soon, and can't wait to finish All the best ron robinson
rejrob

Post by rejrob »

After submitting my last, blasted noticed the word oppo(buddy) was shown as something completely different .Computers I am afraid are still a mystery????Ron
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Sometimes by the time one has seen a wrong spelling or a miss-typed word it is too late to correct it as it only allows so much time to do alterations of what one has typed.

Your project idea seems great. Will look forward to how things progress.